Fried Motherboard?

gartht799

Baseband Member
My PC was running fine and then I woke up and it won't boot up. No fan no nothing. The only thing that is on are a few lights on the motherboard. It also smells like something is burnt. Is there anyway to tell if it is the motherboard or processor? I believe it is the motherboard since the fan won't come on but I don't want to buy another one and have it not be the problem. Maybe its even the switch. Anyway to tell? The printer, monitor and everything else is working fine. Thanks for any help.

alright, Disasemble everything, then Search for a Melted Jumper or something, you might be able to tell. If not could be anything. Look at all your componants if you hve to smell them. Now if you found anything thats probualy your problem. But if your light is on your motherboard. Might still be good, but just means its not your PSU lol its getting power, check everything from top to bottom. Have you ever opened your Computer, just touch your PSU while its still plugged in with power off that should ground you. Then look around. You can touch things but be carefull. You will be ok dont worrie you have to be mean to your computer for it to be shocked. i dont know what would cause it besides a bad jumper.

I would start by checking the power supply..

See if a buddy has one.. pull it out and plug it in.. If the Computer fires up then the PSU is bad.

Double Posting is a NO NO, Use the Edit BUtton and as for the question you asked, The fan does not spin, and the Computer Does NOT boot up at all. I dont think its going to be the PSU but it might. Smell of burnt something could be Resistor Jumpers anything. ALL you can do is sniff around for the aroma and find out where its comeing from.

You probably have a mobo problem if it boots but the fans don't spin(assuming you're using mobo fan headers)

EIther way, I agree with Buzz, check out the powersupply first. They tend to be the first things to die when similar problems occur. Also searching for the burnt component could be useful... Find out if it's the board or the PS... Just sniff around ;)

Cheap things first. Replace the cpu fan. This is a classic case of a bad cpu fan. No beeps, no boot, nada.

Back
Top Bottom