Is a four pixple pipeline difference extreme? Same with 100mhz core clock?

Half Evil

Golden Master
X800GTO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814161166

X800XL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161165

Okay, this is my thinking. That the XL will have too many pipelines so that the core clock cant pump them all full enough of data to make it truly efficient.

But, the GTO has 12 with the 100mhz increase in core clock. So, it is able to fill up the pipelines with data much faster. Although with four lines less, it might bottle neck.

So now to my quesion.
Is the four pipeline difference major? I mean with the four line increase you have the 100mhz decrease in core clock. Like, I have the X300se. It has four pixle pipelines. And I know if I doubled those pipelines, it would have a major effect reguardless of the core clock. But, when you get up there, and start to get high clock speeds, and 12+ pipelines, I really dont think that the four pipelines would make a difference.

Also take into the account the price. GTO is 124 after rebate as the XL is like 142. So is the four pipelines worth like 20 dollars?

And lastly, my last question.
If we said that the 16pipelines is even debatibly worth the extra money, would the loss of the 100mhz core be noticeable.

Let me try and say this better...
Lets say I get both the XL and the GTO. I plug each into the exact same computer. Play the same game on High settings. Now, with the XL having 100mhz less core, but four pipelines have better performance then the GTO with four less pipelines, but 100mhz faster core? And when I say "notice a difference" I mean literally, not benchmarks.

It seems as if both cards has their pros and cons. Anayways.. Either of these cards; would they play CSS, HL2, Area 51, Guild Wars, F.E.A.R., Halo, UT2K4 ect games on High. I think it would play all on high but F.E.A.R and probably Area 51.

no it could probably get F.E.A.R. out on high...well maybe...because my friend has the xps400 and it has a x600 and it plays it on high....but ne ways that is a really interesting question man....pretty complicated...now that rebate is just to get people to buy it...but it is always good to have a lot of pixelpiplines but coreclock is pretty necessary too...well.....hmmmmmmmmmmm.........toughie

k now the gto im thinking has the edge here mainly because of slightly faster clocks BUT!!!....the 16 pixel piplines helps the xl....also the xl can probably be easily overclocked back to the gto's rates.....hmmm.....well in conclusion to my NOSENSE... i would say teh xl

x800xl :) WINNER!!!!

Oh man, I never even thought about OCing. Lol. And its an HIS card so its got a massive heatsink on it. So you think I could easily get 100mhz, and never change that speed. Just like it were be stock speed? But that would shorten the life of the card?

I like the way you think :D

this was a review

Best Value

Pros: Fantastic card. Can be heavily overclocked due to its enormus heatsink/fan. I have cranked up all the settings on my new comp on 1024x768 on Half-Life 2 and still get silky smooth frame rates. I highl...
y recommend this card. This GPU is a fine addition to my new custom computer. I did a fair amount of research on components and found that this card had the best price/performance ratio out there.

Cons: Takes up an extra (regular) PCI slot because its heatsink/fan is so huge Did not come with "iTurbo" overclocking software shown on some websites

welll.....ok that fan is bigger then my room fan...(tehe)...so it sould be able to keep that thing cool...now maybe not a full 100mhz or maybe......ur just going to have to play with it...but at least 50+ i would say... but if i were u i would stick with nvidia....because u can get a 7600gt (what im getting) for 180 that has a 580mhz core clock and 1500mhz memory clock....but the x800 is still good.... :)

i officially have 5.99 avg. posts per day :)

edit: k 6.04...........hope my fingers dont fall off :)

Back
Top Bottom