formatted but still slow =/

k3nz3n

Beta member
hi guys.. I have a toshiba portege lappie which worked really well until one day =/ it is really slow and startup takes about 15-20 minutes =/ i recently formatted my computer a few times (totalling up to 5 times in the past 2 weeks) and it is still slow.

since toshiba comes with loads of other 'utilities' i uninstalled them all when it was fresh out of format and it still runs very slow.. i have barely any big programs running except for AVG and zonealarm in my background, the rest ive gotten rid of them by msconfig.

i was wondering if there is a hardware problem such as processor, ram or hard disk.. i ran some tests such as checkdisk and AMIdiag which came back without errors, checking my ram with MemTest and AMIdiag which came back all good, checking my processor with AMIdiag as well, which also came back positive.

Hopefully there is someone who can help me XD

post anymore information that you need..

did this ever happen before? and wat exacctly do u mean by slow? u mean browsing is slow or like u have low frames per second...

by any chance is there a recovery partion on your hard drive. if so there could be a virus hidden in there and that could be your problem with booting.

when you reformatted was it ok with just you av and firewall, it sounds to me like a clash of programs, whats you harddrive capacity and how much are you using? also how much ram have you got

spywarebanisher - nope, this has never happened before cept before few weeks ago.. and slow means opening programs slow, even right clicking on the desktop would take ages.. moving my program icons around my desktop also freezes the comp for a bit.. but after ive done it once, the next time i wanna do it seems a little faster.. =/

ronco rox - yea, there might be a recovery portion on my drive because im using toshiba recovery disc to reformat my computer, thats because i have to, my portege does not have any floppy nor cd rom drive and i have to use a USB cd rom drive =x but ive ran fully updated AVG and sophos on my computer, came back clean..

blackjack - i dont think that is the problem, its because the first time i noticed my comp slowing down was when i thought somebody was hacking into my computer, so i reformatted because it was slow and the first thing i did after reformat was get zone alarm and AVG.. so it was slow before hand =/ the specs are 1.10 ghz processor, 512 mb ram, 2 chips if im not mistaken..

by the way, another info on the computer, after i reformat the computer, it runs very smoothly, firefox opens in 1 second, windows load up in less than 1 minute, but after a few programs installed and a few files placed in, it then starts getting slow and unbearable.. =/

k3nz3n said:
spywarebanisher - nope, this has never happened before cept before few weeks ago.. and slow means opening programs slow, even right clicking on the desktop would take ages.. moving my program icons around my desktop also freezes the comp for a bit.. but after ive done it once, the next time i wanna do it seems a little faster.. =/

ronco rox - yea, there might be a recovery portion on my drive because im using toshiba recovery disc to reformat my computer, thats because i have to, my portege does not have any floppy nor cd rom drive and i have to use a USB cd rom drive =x but ive ran fully updated AVG and sophos on my computer, came back clean..

blackjack - i dont think that is the problem, its because the first time i noticed my comp slowing down was when i thought somebody was hacking into my computer, so i reformatted because it was slow and the first thing i did after reformat was get zone alarm and AVG.. so it was slow before hand =/ the specs are 1.10 ghz processor, 512 mb ram, 2 chips if im not mistaken..

by the way, another info on the computer, after i reformat the computer, it runs very smoothly, firefox opens in 1 second, windows load up in less than 1 minute, but after a few programs installed and a few files placed in, it then starts getting slow and unbearable.. =/
I think you just touched on your own problem " after i install a few programs and a few files placed in" are these by any chance photos and games

i thought that was the problem as well, by the 5th time i reformatted, i just installed a few essential progs like AVG and zonealarm.. nothing too special or big, also making sure i delete any videos after download and watching them..

but this just lasted for about 2 days being smooth.. =/ this is like a medical mystery.. >.<

hmm, from all the information right, which do you guys think is the biggest probability that is the problem.. software? hardware? if hardware, which hardware component? and if it is software, i can post a 'hijackthis' log up to be checked..?

Back
Top Bottom