Formating

I.N.F.O.

Solid State Member
i was here before asking for help...and it worked...i formated my drive...but i want to format my master drive also...i went to dos mode to do it, but when i try to format it, this comes up...

Cannot Lock the drive. Volume is still in use.

Is there a way to get around that?

Never gotten that but I assum botting to dos for you is just telling XP/2000 to boot to command mode? Boot using a disk of some sort.

i just made a ms-dos disk....then i restarted and it went to the dos screen and i typed in format c:...but it didnt recognize the command...can anyone help me with this...

Hmmm...I reformatted and re-installed windows ME just today....Restart the computer with the startup disk in the A:/ drive, when you et to the prompt type in fdisk. Then I think it's number 3 to Delete the current partition...Once it's deleted create a new one.

Then exit fdisk, when you're back at the prompt type in c:/ then when you're at the C:/ prompt type format c:

I can't find a guide at the moment but if you search google for "how to reformat" then you should find some decent guides

my computer is beyond gay...i tried that, and it didnt recognize any of the commands for some reason...i think id just be better off throwing this computer out the window...

The disk cannot be locked because the disk drive is still mounted. That means, the disk drive is still in use for some reason. Create an FDISK, and boot from the floppy. Go into your BIOS and make the Hardisk boot LAST in boot order, and the floppy boot FIRST. Then put in the FDISK you created, and use that to format the C drive. The FDISK has specific menu based DOS commands, so it won't be hard either. Just go to help section on Microsofts site, and type in FDISK, and it will tell you how to create one on your OS. GL! :D

Back
Top Bottom