Followup to an old HDD issue (stop working and caused bsod)

mikee

Fully Optimized
A while back I posted a thread about an issue I had with my primary HDD randomly clicking off and the computer freezing and restarting followed by a message at bootup saying windows was temporarily unable to read your hard disk drive. I thought this might have been a failing drive and still might be but IT has been happening again but this time it happened when I bumped into my case and I heard the drive click off then back on (not the click of death) just the initial click when a drive is turned on. I ran tests on it in hd tune and it turns up completely fine. For a while the drive just disappeared altogether from the bios and I was unable to boot. I removed the ide and power cable and put them back on and it booted fine but randomly yesterday the problem happened while my friend was using the computer without ever bumping into it.

So I am stumped now and don't know if I should just bight the bullet and go buy a cheap 500gb sata drive or if there is some way to remedy this issue once and for all.

hdtune is not a diagnostic program. It's a benchmark program with drive vitals.

You need some good quality time with a tester program like gwscan or Western Digital Tools / Seatools.

Gwscan is free, you burn it to CD and boot the system to the CD and run the SMART & Long tests. If there's a problem with the drive, it'll find it and either

A) Fix it
B) tell you it's busted

From what you're describing, I wouldn't trust that drive with ANYTHING on it until I ran a full scan on gwscan.

You can download GWSCAN from Gateway's support site (and it works on any PATA/SATA drive out there)

HD tune has smart and says everything is ok but I will check out the others you mentioned

Back
Top Bottom