Flash Failure

ysharb

Solid State Member
I was updating my dvd-rom with a liveupdate program half-way thru the process my computer crashed, and my computer only functions properly when i disconnect the dvd drive. When connected the computer starts up real slow trying to detect the hard drives and other stuff, and after 3 min i get the window xp (troubleshooting ) start up menu, all choices cause my computer to restart and won't start Xp. The problem is that I don't have a floppy disk and my cd drive isn't working, Is there a way to boot from ms-dos without a cd or floppy disk because I need to apply the recovery program.

Thanks in adance
YSH

Ok, try this.... 1st go to bios screen setup, and make shure your boot order is :

1)cd drive
2)floppy drive/if you have one
3)hhd
make shure that auto detect is on.

boot up to safe mode (with no networking) by pressing the f8 key repeatedly, right after your comp. logo dissapears.

once in safemode click start/ run / type regedit
(this is the registry) now go to:

Hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run

now look in there for any program that you don't want to startup at boot. to get rid of it, just delete it. it's ok to do htis cuz you are only deleting the short cut & not the acuall program.

now check the run once folder, it should be right below the run folder.
delete everything in there, you don't need anything in that folder.

Now exit that, go to the pre-fetch folder in Windows, and empty out that folder. Once that's done..

uninstall all drives exept your hhd of course...now shut down windows & power off your comp.

once that's done, unplug your power cord from your comp. take out dis-connect all drives from your comp. and boot back up to windows. after windows is all done loading, make a system restore point. then power down windows & shut down comp.

then connect the drives back to their places:
(make shure that the hhd w/the OS on it is primary master on the ide cable, next make shure that the cd drive is secondary master, and if you have a burner, put it on secondary as slave.

plug back in the cord, and boot up/ that should do it.

Thank you ~mr mixx~ for your time in giving me such a detailed answer I really appreciate the work , but unfortunatly the bios couldnt even read my dvd-rom does it mean it destroyed by that flash failure. The thing is whenever I connected everything starts up so slowly and it is detecting the drives, so the dvd is still "alive" or is that just something totally different.

could be that the driver's are corrupted, have tried to uninstall it & reinstall it, getting the driver's for it from the windows cd ?

what is devise manager saying about it ?

then again it could be a trojan on your comp. that your anti-virs did not detect.

I dont think that's it, cuz but whenever the dvd drive is connected to the computer after the incident (computer crashes while it dvd rom was being updated) everything start up really slow and the bios can;t detect the dvd, you have to wait 3 min before you can get to the start up menu of windows xp and whatever you choose it ends up in a restart, the only way my computer function normal again is when I disconnect the dvd from the computer.

well is it still under warranty ? If so take it back to the store for an Even exchange, and i hope you kept the box, unless it already came with your comp.

Keep trying different things, if all else fails...
just buy a new one. Sorry if i could'nt help you further.

No problem man, it mean a lot to me. Thank you for your time and effort. I'll see what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom