First time at building a gaming rig

Well I would like to overclock it a little bit at some point, but the main reason I would like this particular kit is because it takes the heat right off the processor and ejects it out of the case instead of just blowing it away from the processor. This should keep everything a bit colder and (hopefully) extend the lifespan of the electronics. This kit also connects to the motherboard so you can monitor the temprature and adjust the output, which should mean I can raise or lower the cooling if I need to. When it comes to cooling processors I think a little bit of over-engineering is a good thing, and it doesn't hurt that I have found an ex-display version that is going cheap. :) ^.^ That's just my thoughts on it though.

It's just not really worth it to liquid cool modern CPU chips. With the dies getting thinner and thinner even the i7's cool rather well with air. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo is an excellent air cooler some of us use. The way the fan system is so flexible the CPU fan can be mounted on the side facing the back case fan and no warm or hot air has a chance to get in to the rest of the box. It goes right out the back.
attachment.php

attachment.php

i have the same cooler as seti, although i have a fan on each side as a push and pull set up, pushing air from the case through the cooler then fan other side pulling it through the cooler an ejecting it right in to the exaust fan an out the case. (although my case is a mid case so not as tidy as seti's lol)

Ah, right. Woops. I was hanging around and I didn't think anyone was going to respond to that so I just went and bought it. It was heavily discounted clearance stock, though, so I'm sure it wasn't that much different in price. That thing looks good, but I don't think I would like to try and install something that sticks out like that - I have massive trouble with knocking stuff that sticks out and might break it. I used to have a computer with an exhaust funnel in the same position and I kept nearly breaking it. As long as the case can take it this will be fine though, I'm sure.

I've got most of the other stuff on order, so I guess that just leaves the PSU and the graphics card\s. I don't need the best one of either, but I would like something suitably good. For the PSU I wanted something efficient so I was thinking a Corsair Digital AX860i Modular 860W PSU, is that enough power, do you think?

Cool, 0k, I'll get that. 0k, than. Thanks. :3 By the way, aside from the graphics card I also kinda need a good all-in-one memory card reader. Is there a good one that has USB 3 ports on the front?

0k, cool, that looks good even if it does eat up a PCI slot. It's a shame they didn't put a couple of ports on the back plate as well as I need a good supply of ports at the back too.

For the graphics card....well, I have no idea what they cost so I dunno. :p But since I have saved quite a bit by buying parts from different places I have a fair amount to spare in my budget. I don't want to buy the very latest card as that will come at a premium and not be much better than the others, but I was thinking something high-end. If it gives a good boost, I might get a second card later on when they are cheaper and run them in a duel configuration.

Last edited:
If you dual config (called sli) get the gtx 760 £ 230 each as the performance is amazing (as well as the titan!!)

or if you get one card look at the gtx 770 £330/370

And of course there are Amd choices like the 7970hd i have, £320

and the mobo your buying has more pci slots than you'll need

- 2 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (max. at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)
- 4 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots.

And it will auto overclock for you to.

Last edited:
If two 760's is as good as one of those Titans, would it be worth getting a Titan and adding another later (I have no idea what one of those costs)? If it is too expensive, is there a card just bellow the Titan that I might be able to afford on its own?

lol have you looked at the cost of a titan???

here

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

It goes gtx 760 £230 , gtx 770 £330, gtx 780 £550 titan £850-880.

The best bang for your buck is two 760's

Back
Top Bottom