First computer build, need help

that's unfortunately not entirely true.
The cpu will not be slower on a different chipset at default (not counting overclocking), but some features might be missing.
Like adding a 4770K to a H87 chipset will disable overclocking but adding it to the Z87 will remove inbuilt GPU support. (That's why you will never see a Z86 motherboard with a VGA or HDMI port. it would not be functional)
It's mostly features and CPU support (also power usage saving. But not in this case of the 1150 socket. They all have 4.1 W which is respectable low). Features like support for more USB 3 ports. My old motherboard that had a X56 chipset only supported 2 USB 3 ports and i think 4 SATA 6 Gbit/s ports.

All the chipsets for the 1150 socket is very much the same. It's a joke that Intel has made 8 different chipsets. I understand the last one (Z97). They needed to update there chipsets for the new CPU's. like the 4790K and the upcoming Core I 5xxx series.

Last edited:
True, It's hardly more expensive and you don't need to worry about BIOS update.
You see some Z86 motherboards need their BIOS updated before it can take "devil's canyon" CPU's. (4790K and 4690K). Problem is that i BIOS can not be updated without a CPU. So you will have to borrow or buy s CPU it can handle to update the BIOS before you add the 4790K.

Just get a Z97. It will not cost more, and you will be ready for a Broadwell CPU upgrade in the future. (upgrading to the next 5000 series from Intel)

Which z97 version on MSY would you recommend or think is better? (Out of the under $150 ones)

Sorry I couldn't include a link, it wouldn't post whenever I included a link (I'm on the app, does anyone know how to fix this)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Back
Top Bottom