First computer build (compatible, better products?)

dangles35

Solid State Member
I'm wanting to build a computer but as I'm a noob at this, I need some confirmation/help.
I want to know whether or not these parts are compatible.
I can spend a maximum of AUD$800. My parts that I have are:

Motherboard: GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti (GV-N550OC-1GI) (I don't want ATI/AMD)

RAM: F3-16000CL9D-4/8GBRM (Not sure whether to get 4GB or 8GB. Is more memory just so you can run more apps?)

Power Supply: ThermalTake TR2 Bronze 700W/Corsair HX650/Corsair TX650/Corsair TX650M/Corsair CX 600/Corsair GS600

Processor: i3-2100/i3-2120/i5-2400/i5-2500 (Depending on how much money I am actually allowed to spend, as I don't have that much money and my dad isn't prepared to spend that much as well. I don't want AMD)

Thanks for your help. ;)

4GB of RAM should be your minimum, 8GB is nice to have, but you can survive just fine on 4GB.

The PSU is too high in wattage for your build, so you can skimp a bit. If you drop down to a 600 watt unit from Corsair, Antec or Seasonic, you should be fine.

Don't waste your time with the CPUs you listed, the i5 and i7 are the wrong socket. The i3 would be fine, but it's a little dual core chip, and I feel that dual core's time is over. You need to look at the i5 or i7 in LGA1155 trim.

Thanks for the info. I thought the i5 and i7 I chose where the right ones but I must've got mixed up. What about i5-2400 or the i5-2500?
Also about the power supplies, I've chosen some, but could you tell me the difference?

All of those choices for power supplies should be fine. Pick the one with the most positive reviews at the price you like and go for it.

The i5 is a fine processor, and if you don't do a lot of thread-heavy work (3D Modeling, video rendering, etc) then the i5 is all you really need. The 2400 is fine, if you want to save some money over the 2500. If you overclock, it's definitely better to get the 2400, as you can easily hit the clocks of the 2500 on air from what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom