Fibre connection

silverwing65

Baseband Member
Hi
I have just changed to high speed fibre with SSE and cannot connect on the extension phone line.
Can anyone tell me why this is and if it can be rectified, or do I have to leave my router where it is near the main socket.
Thanks

You are much better off leaving your router near to the main socket if you can anyway. As for the reason your extension socket isn't working, are you using a filter in the extension socket? Did an engineer change your main socket when you changed to fibre? Your Extension sockets should be connected to the face plate of the main socket and if an an engineer did any work on the main socket during installation then the extension wires could have bene dislodged. You may need an engineer to sort it out but be aware that if the problem is with the extension socket, even the bit where it is connected to the main socket, then you could well incur a charge, £169 I was quoted last week.

Thanks Pete.i.
I have not had a engineer here, and the phone is working fine on the extension, the router was working on the extension before I changed to fibre,the speed of the fibre has dropped from 49mbs next to the router and 18mbsin my lounge, it just seem a bit of a waste but it is a lot faster than beforewhen I was only getting 2mbs
regards

Your speed will fluctuate until dynamic line monitoring (DLM) has determined which is the best and most stable speed to set your line at. This should take around ten days. It is advisable to leave your router switched on and plugged in during this period. It is advisable to leave your router plugged in and switched on at all times anyway otherwise DLM could sense a fault and start the DLM process again. Are you using wireless to connect to your router? If you are then this will affect the speed of your fibre connection. Things like walls and furniture between your computer and your router will affect the strength of the wireless signal and this, in turn, will affect your internet speed. I use wireless extenders and they do compensate to an extent. Wait untill the New Year when DLM should have settled down and come back on and we can discuss wireless extenders and other options to get your computer to connect to your router.

If your telephone is working on the extension then, in theory, there shouldn't be anything to prevent your router from working from that extension providing that a) you are using a fibre filter in that extension socket and b) that filter is actually working. But as I have said it is much better to have your router as close to the main socket as you can.

pete.i
Thanks again for info, I have now had fibre for a month or so and I did leave it on for 10 days at the start but have been turning it of every night, I will now leave it on and see if it improves.
Regards

Okay and Happy New Year. DLM likes to see a loop on the line. That's a little simplistic but basically how it works is that a signal is sent down the line and that signal is monitored on the return. If the signal isn't returned or is not as expected then DLM will slow your connection down as it senses a fault on the line that could make it unstable. I know a lot of people do not like leaving their routers on and there is a slight danger in doing so but routers are designed to be left on at all times. I cannot say whether your signal will improve or not but certainly the general advice is to leave your router switched on to prevent DLM from slowing your speed down uneccessarily.

When you do a speed test use this web site. BTW Performance Test This is the BT speed test website and because BT own all the telephone lines, one way or another, this test tends to be a bit more accurate than the others. Also if you do have a line fault and have to go to BT for help (heaven forbid LOL) they will ask you to do tests from your main phone socket using the test socket that is behind the front face of the main socket and using this speedtest site. Be aware that this website does require Adobe Flash to work.

Back
Top Bottom