A few questions

shozzking

Daemon Poster
I'm ordering all of the parts for my computer tonight but first i have a few questions. the first is that i need suggestions for a CPU cooler, newegg.ca is sold out of CM V8's. I also just found out that my paycheck was bigger than i expected. What would you guys suggest that i upgrade in my build, i can spend up to $1400. my current build is $1100 without the CPU fan. how much would liquid cooling cost in canada and where could i buy it from?
thanks to anyone who posts.

Liquid cooling is kind of extraneous. It's a mid-way point of cost for good cooling. Better than air (*I'll explain in a sec) yet worse than phase change or LN². It's expensive to go liquid for even a one block loop. But after you buy your main components, it's cheap to upgrade.

Consider this:
I spent 60 dollars on my block, 160 on my pump/res, and 50 on my rad. Plus 14 dollars times 3 for comp fittings on each unit. Plus 22 dollars for tubing, and 40 for 2 liters of liquid. Assembly isn't terribly hard.

All in all, about 375 dollars for a CPU loop. Oh, and add another ~20 dollars for two scythe 3k's. Ok, so we call it 400 dollars for the whole loop.

***Temperatures that are typically 5-6 lowers than a really good air cooler. and temperatures under load that are WAY better than a really good air cooler. Mind you, this doesn't include TEC's. I have expandability, and temperature stability, and a small risk. If you choose the right parts, there is no risk. none at all.

But it's an expensive avenue to undergo. And it requires maintenance. You have to clean the radiator fairly often to keep it from getting too bad, and you need to drain and refill the system every 8 months or so. Plus initial burping.

All in all, if you have the spare money, do it.

Liquid cooling is kind of extraneous. It's a mid-way point of cost for good cooling. Better than air (*I'll explain in a sec) yet worse than phase change or LN². It's expensive to go liquid for even a one block loop. But after you buy your main components, it's cheap to upgrade.

Consider this:
I spent 60 dollars on my block, 160 on my pump/res, and 50 on my rad. Plus 14 dollars times 3 for comp fittings on each unit. Plus 22 dollars for tubing, and 40 for 2 liters of liquid. Assembly isn't terribly hard.

All in all, about 375 dollars for a CPU loop. Oh, and add another ~20 dollars for two scythe 3k's. Ok, so we call it 400 dollars for the whole loop.

***Temperatures that are typically 5-6 lowers than a really good air cooler. and temperatures under load that are WAY better than a really good air cooler. Mind you, this doesn't include TEC's. I have expandability, and temperature stability, and a small risk. If you choose the right parts, there is no risk. none at all.

But it's an expensive avenue to undergo. And it requires maintenance. You have to clean the radiator fairly often to keep it from getting too bad, and you need to drain and refill the system every 8 months or so. Plus initial burping.

All in all, if you have the spare money, do it.

that's a pretty blanket statement don't you think...? if the OP isn't overclocking it's a waste to use anything except the stock cooler, which usually comes free with the processor...

now if the OP is overclocking, that's a different story, then I would agree...

I don't overclock for normal use and I run liquid. The colder your hardware, the longer it is most likely to last. Plus it's more of a e-pen thing. xD.

EDIT: By saying I'm not overclocked for normal use, I mean I have it at 3800 using C1E and EHS.

+1
thanks for all the info, i decided to order everything yesterday. i settled for an ATI 5770. i might go liquid cooling in the future, i never knew that it was so expensive!

Now, this is for custom kits. You can buy TT kits and plenty of others for way less. Performance will reflect cost. I hear (from one of our members and other sources) the Corsair H50 is a good set. It is however, only for the CPU - It can not be expanded. It costs about 80 dollars on all of the sites I've seen it in stock at.

Corsair H50 @ TigerDirect.com
Corsair H50 @ NewEgg.com
Corsair H50 @ FrozenCPU.com

It's a decent set for the price.

Now, this is for custom kits. You can buy TT kits and plenty of others for way less. Performance will reflect cost. I hear (from one of our members and other sources) the Corsair H50 is a good set. It is however, only for the CPU - It can not be expanded. It costs about 80 dollars on all of the sites I've seen it in stock at.

Corsair H50 @ TigerDirect.com
Corsair H50 @ NewEgg.com
Corsair H50 @ FrozenCPU.com

It's a decent set for the price.

and it will give you roughly the same temps as a Xigmatek air cooler, I know you're into liquid cooling, and expanding your knowledge of computers, trying different less mainstream things is exciting, but the cost to performance ratio just doesn't add up unless you go all the way with liquid cooling and even that's debatable, and even moreso if you're not overclocking...

also, the life of the cpu is hardly affected by running it at extremely low temps, it's designed to run years past it's usefulness with just the stock cooler, with a good, inexpensive aftermarket cooler it will be obsolete before it fails due to failure from heat, the only reason for water cooling on a nonoverclocked system has already been mentioned, flexing teh e-pen...

Back
Top Bottom