Is the extra gigahert worth it? (Core 2 Duo) ...

XEN

In Runtime
So, I'm considering a computer upgrade for christmas and my first thought is about the upcoming quad core processors, but then I heard how expensive they are :)O) so I decided I would stick to Core 2 Duo. So I'm looking at the availiable versions and I think I have narrowed it down to the E6300 and the E6600. The E6600 is £100 (around $190) more than the E6300, but it has an extra 2mb of L2 cache and almost and extra gigahert. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to processors, so could someone please tell em weather those two features are worth the extra money.

Thanks, Chris.

EDIT: I would also consider the E6400.

well it kinda depends. The E6300 will be able to do anything u need it to do, but the E6600 is a beast. It's blazing fast and pretty cheap. Well actually it's extremely cheap compared to the performance. I'd get the E6600 simply because it will last for a long time. And u could also think about the E6400.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=1
there is some benchmarks for u to look at.

Yeah, thanks, I know what you mean, I only need the E6300, but the E6600 is just a dream... (well after the extreme edition ;)) I'll have a look at the E6400, thanks. :D

Ahhh, I don't think I'll overclock it that high, if I even do. I've never overclocked before ;)

On that subject though do you think I should get some more ram?

Also, how much difference does the extra 2mb in the L2 cache make?

so u have 1gb of ram now? What type and speed?

Also about the L2, don't know exactly but it shouldn't make a big difference. But as I said I'm not sure so I could be wrong.

Well I think I'm going to have to get some DDR2 memory for it to be compatible with the new motherboard.

The E6300 is good, and if you have a good enough motherboard, it can own the FX-62 with some overclocking. The E6600 is pretty much on par with the FX-62 at stock speeds.

EDIT>>> Typo, sorry.

alvino said:
The E6300 is pretty much on par with the FX-62 at stock speeds.

I doubt that. In the benchmarks that I have seen the amd FX-62 is better than the E6400. With some overclocking could get the E6300 to match the FX-62, but with stock clocks I doubt that the E6300 can beat the FX-62.

Back
Top Bottom