External Hard Drive Fail.

airsoftkid

In Runtime
I just recently bought a "Working" external hard drive from some guy off of eBay. (To those of you who are about to say thats where I went wrong, please, spare me, I already got chewed out by a friend about that).

When I got it, I opened it up and hooked it up. I went to my computer, only to look at my screen in disbelief. The thing wasn't in "My Computer". I immediately was like, "Ok, partitioning problem, and downloaded Partition Magic. I opened it up, and it wouldn't show in Partition Magic either. At this moment, I'm really thinking, "Ok, now wtf.." I opened MMC.exe, and added the Disk management snap thing, and saw it in my list there.

It said that the Partition was CPT Protective, I did a little research to realize that I needed to Low Level-format it. So I did that, and then tried to repartition it, and it kept failing everytime I'd go to format and repartition it'd mess up. So I went ahead and tried the low-level format again, and it kept taking FOREVER. I mean like, 8 hours later, it wasn't done. I had to close it about 2-3 times, and I tried it on another computer even and it didn't work.

This morning, I attempted hooking it up again, and I was gonna try to repartition it again. This time, I opened it up, and "My Computer" doesn't recognize it. Partition Magic said that there was a bad Partition table, MMC.exe doesn't recognize it. And only the Low-level format software I was using recognizes it anymore.

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to get this piece of junk working? Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Air

It might be a hail Mary, but try removing the hard drive from the external enclosure and install it inside your PC directly. This would at least rule out the enclosure hardware as the problem...

Thanks for the advice, can you explain what a hail Mary is though? I'll give it a try.
A Hail Mary is usually defined a "long shot" or something that doesn't have a large amount of estimated success rate.

check your BIOX and computer battery.

That really doesn't help him. Assuming other USB devices work there is nothing in BIOS that would keep an external drive from picking up, and the CMOS battery wouldn't make any difference either.

Back
Top Bottom