External Hard Drive

bsr2002

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with one of my external drives. It is hooked up usb 2.0. The computer is recognizing it not as a Hard Drive but a Disk Drive. I can't click open the drive from my desk top because it tells me to insert a disk. I've had this drive for over a year with no problems. I did put in some software from the internet but I scanned it with my anti-virus tool and none were detected. :confused: If there is a virus how can I reformat that drive if I can't even get into it? :(

:confused: :(

Hi there,

What type of software did you install onto it?

It is a very weird problem

Hope we can help
Kage

Kage said:
Hi there,

What type of software did you install onto it?

It is a very weird problem

Hope we can help
Kage

I put in DVD Cloner II, DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and PC Friendly DVD.

Well :S i dont see a problem with those lol, esp since you checked for viruses first, and even then, i wouldn't expect one to do that!

I thohut when you meant software, some sort of hardware changing program or somethnig along those lines...

I'm sorry, but I have no answer to this at all

Sorry again
Kage

I restarted my computer and I get a box that says:

qttask.exe-No Disk

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Hardisk2\DR3.

isnt qttime.exe something to do with Apple's Quicktime?

Can anyone bring light to this matter?
Kage

go to start
my computer
right click and select manage
go to disk management
find the hdd you are talking about
right click and see if you have the option to format the drive.
this is all assuming you are running xp

Yah, and also check the starup menu for (qttask.exe)
by start/run/msconfig/ starup tab.if it's in their just untic the box, and reboot.

bsr2002 said:
I put in DVD Cloner II, DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and PC Friendly DVD.
Ok, by you saying you are trying to open the drive from your desktop, I am wondering if you tried to access the drive from inside "My Computer". Is it possible that one of these programs created a virtual drive that changed the drive lettering for your existing drives renaming the virtual drive with the letter originally assigned to the external? It is definitely possible if you had the external off at the time of installation of the programs. However, since I am not familiar with these programs I do not know if any of these do this. Some programs do this so you can mount an image to a drive without having to have the physical cd. I'm almost betting this is the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom