email won't send

mikee

Fully Optimized
On my dad's laptop any time he tries to send an email when he is away from home will not send. However they will send as soon as he connects to the internet here at home. I already have the my server requires authentication checked for outgoing mail but it still does not work.

Is he using outlook? if so which version? What do you have set as his outgoing smtp server? When you say away from home, is he at a public place like a wireless access point?

He is using windows mail. When he is away from home it is usually a wireless access point at a hotel or ethernet at the hotel. The outgoing server is the same as it would be at home where email will send.

are you sure that you have the outgoing smtp server set to a publicly accessible IP address or hostname? for example: smtp-server.neo.rr.com vs 192.168.1.1.
What is the error message being displayed, if any?

It could be your ISP Blocking port 25 - They somtimes do that, so that you are forced to use their mail service.

I'm not sure what the error message was since I don't usually go with him on his trips. That's what is making this problem so hard to fix since I can't see the error messages and can't tell if it's fixed unless I go somewhere and use someone else's internet.

try using smtp-server.neo.rr.com
it's a public time warner cable smtp server (if you're in the U.S.) (doesn't require authentication). See if this allows him to send mail, also who is the outbound mail provider?

I actually live in canada would that public server still work?
The email is with our ISP tuckersmith communications

Back
Top Bottom