Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
I just got back from Spring Break, and with that, Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

Basically, I just wanted to say that it is really quite amazing. However, my computer will not run it at maximum. My FPS will drop into the teens! :eek:

So, I've been running it at modified settings, and I've had to turn the grass completely off, shadows down, but I have to keep it at 1280 by 1024 because of the native resolution of my monitor. Well, I have some money laying around right now... I don't have an SLI motherboard nor do I plan to get one... Is there something that I can buy (not a new video card) that may bump up the performance a bit? I was thinking maybe a Raptor?

Another GIG RAM would be great, or another 2 GIG.

But a Raptop would do the trick yeah...10.000 RPM - watch those loading times fly away

I have 2 gigabytes of RAM... I don't think the game's going to use that much memory. Would a Raptor improve in-game performance though? I'm using a modified game file to run without the DVD (yes, it is legal, I own the game, that just prevents me from having to put the disc in all the time)... Would that be worth it? I would probably get just one 36.7 gigabyte one for now, maybe run RAID later on with 2.

Yeah it would, if it can load all the images faster, and the landscapes all that, it will be better.

Hm, that's good to know. Do you think that'll be a worthwhile investment from my current hard drive? Oh, and how should I arrange data on this one... Should I have some games on it and Windows XP as well? And if so, will I have to reinstall Windows or anything, or can I just directly port it to the new drive?

Well, I suppose I could consider that, it is just quite expensive to do. I have the money for it, if I were to get a cheaper motherboard. But, of course, I would want a x16 by x16 motherboard instead of just x8 by x8. And that's already in the 200's. Plus another 7800GT is 300, which makes the total 500. And that's not a price that I want to pay. If a Raptor would make any kind of improvement, then I would get that, providing that I can easily do the things I described above.

That's true, but my motherboard is retailing at around 80 bucks. So it wouldn't be much.

But what about the Raptor?! I think that would be my best option. I need some answers, though...

hooly crap. the teens? with a 7800 and an opteron? 2 gigs of ram? thats incredibly crazy. i did the math, if i start my job in june and end in september, all in all i'll have $3800 for a computer...if i get the job.

i'll have enough for a athlon 64 fx-60, 2 gigs of ram, and i'll sli 2 7900gts... yeah, and i'll still have enough money left over ... hopefully that'll run oblivion well

Back
Top Bottom