DVD Ripping

freestyler105

Golden Master
Today I was ripping an AVI file (I think it was DivX or something...) to DVD, and dang, is that a pain or what? Anyway, I opened up task manager, and noticed that only 50% of my CPU was being used. I'm assuming this is because the app I was using (AVI2DVD) is not multithreaded. It currently takes about an hour or two to finish encoding on my PC, but if I could get an app that's multithreaded, theoretically couldn't I cut that time in half? (obviously, it wouldn't be in half, but there would be a large difference)

So basically, can anyone recommend me a good AVI to DVD encoder that will take full advantage of both of my processor's cores?

Well my mates P4 single core 3.0ghz presscott encodes just as quick if not quicker than my Athlon 64 X2 4200+, which uses up to 90-100% CPU usage on either NeroVision or WinAVI...so no, i dont think it would greatly cut the time down

Matt

Im guessing that if the software isnt designed to take advantage of the dual core then it wont. I use winAVI to convert files

Raffaz said:
Im guessing that if the software isnt designed to take advantage of the dual core then it wont. I use winAVI to convert files

ding ding ding, we have the winner. if the program isn't written to use the dual cores (most aren't) then your really only using one core to do it. having it written to use both cores would likely help considerably.

Back
Top Bottom