DVD burning

sunts

Baseband Member
Ive got a basic computer setup, currently running WinXP.

I have a CD burner that i use for bruning music and data CDs, but was wondering what a DVD burner willl enable me to burn. I know you can obviously copy DVDs with a DVD burner , but will I be able to copy play station games with a DVD burner??? What other mediums will a DVD burner enable me to copy??

Thanks

Hmm nope, this is an illiegal matter which shouldn't be brought to this forum, but Playstation games could be copied with a CD burner anwyay and wouldn't need a DVD burner.

Thats about it really, and if you have a DVD player you could make DVD's and also DVD Mp3's full of all your music (4.7gb's worth on one layer)

Plus you could of course use one to back up all your data on your PC. Anyway, they are getting really cheap now, even for a dual layer one.

DVD Writers will also copy cd's at around 48x anyway, but make sure you also get a reletivly fast DVD copier too. I have a 4x which copies a DVD in about 30-40 minutes...rather a long time. Faster ones are now available like 8x and 16x I think which would shorten the time by about half and more.

I hope this helps

Basically Kage summed it all up... A DVD burner is mainly used for larger files or folders for storage... I use mine noramlly to back up my computer (which I do every 3-6 months). That way instead of having external hard drives, it is all on a dvd that i can keep in a small cd folder. I also make DVD MP3's. I have a dvd player in my car and at work, so I can store most of my music onto one dvd and listen while I am working or driving somewhere.

**Good rule of advice, Try To Avoid Pirating**
Reason: If you are caught, 1mb of storing illegal software is $25,000 and on top of that, 4-10 years in a state pen.

Yeah :p

You might as well get a DVD burner though since they are so cheap. Many also allow for all DVD formats including Dual Layer.
Some even have DVD-RAM which is basically a slow (about 2x) but a good way of backing up all your data as it acts like a DVD-RW yet can be wiped over around 10,000 times. So they could be used as a drive as it were ( I knew the exact definition at one point)

Most if not all allow for burning off CD-R, CD-RW too which is always a plus so you can throw away your old one, or use it as a straight copier to copy one to the other.

So you might as well, since it'll come in useful sometime in its life :p

That is also true, since they are getting rid of floppy drives this year, and technology is advancing, you might as well get a DVD Burner. Because I think one day CD's will also be out of date in the future to where there will be DVD's Dual Layer or something else, so I would try to just get a DVD Burner since it can do the same as a CD Burner anyways...

Some Advice on choosing a burner...
Get a DVD+/-RW (doesnt matter if it is dual layer or regular). That way you are able to write onto DVD+R's and DVD-R's. Up to you though, but the extra $10 is worth getting the +/-.

what is the +/-?? I'm still wondering how they can get to layers on to one disc... seems like when the burn the first one... i donno. Any good articles?

The plus and minus signifies different makes I thought, and maybe a slightly different manufacturing process.

The dual layers I think work by having the pits and bumps on two layers underneath one another. The laser can somehow penetrate the first one without reading it and only read the second one. It also can read the first layer without reading the second. i don't understand that really either.

Go onto:

www.Howstuffworks.com

Thats a great site for finding info out if your interested in technology. Has so many help subjects!

If you can get a copy of the june PC Magazine, in there shows how the dual layer works and all of that process... now the +/- is a different way of burning... Normally the only thing that the consumer has to worry about is the price and DVD-R's are way cheaper than the DVD+R's. But the main difference is the way the DVD Blanks are made. Just do some research on google to find more about DVD Burners, I know that there will be a lot of information there for you to read.

Thanks guys. Intelligent lot you all are!

Just so you know, id never even dream about piracy! Are the consequence really worth it? I think not!

Thanks again

Newer PS2 games are DVD and yes you can copy them.

However just because you copy the games wont allow you to play them on your PS2. you need to either purchase SwapMagic disks (about 30 bucks) or buy and solder on a mod chip.

DVD burners allow you to make home movies. store tons more data to backup your computer.

I have a dvd burner and as for copying your ps2's and DVD.. Legalitiy issues are touchy.. Like me I have over 100 dvds (columbia house) and about 25 ps2 games.. 2 kids that cant put anything away..

I have copied all of my dvd's and Ps2 games. Now when they get left out or steped on I dont have to worry to much.. They are all backups.. This issue here is not illegal in any means..

Buy the dvd burner.. you wont regret is.. I bought mine from a local Staples for 80 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom