Dual Channel

CompMan

Fully Optimized
Does Dual Channel make a HUGE difference?

If I have just one stick of one gig XM2.

How much of a difference is there between dual channel?

Looking at a few sites, there is a lot of conflicting info. Some people say it seems to make no difference some say a lot. The general consencous seems to be that it makes it slightly faster, but hey even slightly is good, especially where intensive 3d games r concerned. If u want say 1gb id always get 2 512mb sticks of the same model so i can have dual rather than a single 1gb, my ram gets good scores in Everest considering its cheapy Value, and overclocks nicely too, not sure how much Dual is helping, but if you're going to upgrade id go for dual c ram.

You wont see a HUGE difference running in dual channel. In fact it's as little as 2-4% faster than running in single channel mode.

Some motherboards are better than others for OC'ing. My bios lets me choose the ram speeds, so i can change it without having to OC my FSB (which in turns overclocks rest of system including RAM) So if u want to oc ur ram u need to check in ur bios probably in advanced settings and see if ur mobo has an option for changing ram speed.

Atomic Rooster said:
You wont see a HUGE difference running in dual channel. In fact it's as little as 2-4% faster than running in single channel mode.

Doubbles the memory bandwidth, running dual channel is like the difference between DDR400 and DDR667

DJ-CHRIS said:
Doubbles the memory bandwidth, running dual channel is like the difference between DDR400 and DDR667
qft

like running a two lane highway instead of one...there's passing...and wayyy less traffic jams :)

That's more an explanation for Dual Core, I wouldnt describe Dual Channel in that way TBH. I had a machine with the ability to run Dual Channel, I didn't see much difference to be honest.

the only time i see a difference between dual and single channel is when i'm gamming, and even then it wasn't super huge. Maybe just an extra FPS or two.

Back
Top Bottom