Driver/controller card not recognized

parkpointer

Solid State Member
Verdana Black
I recently tried to upgrade my AntiVirus software and a compatibility problem stopped the upgrade.
Several months ago my computer suffered a major crash. I had $450 to spend, and was not able to find any available computers in that price range. I am an amateur user, so I took on the task to rebuild my computer using both forums and friends. Isn't ebay wonderful. The system is listed below: (before/after)
1998 - Dell XPS R series running with Windows 98SE operating system
*Intel PII-400MHz/PowerLeap Celeron PIII-1.4GHz
*Maxtor 9.2GB-5200rpm/Maxtor 160GB-7200rpm with Maxtor 100/133 ATA controller (I was instructed to partition the drive into thirds so as not to give the computer too much cause to error.)
*Toshiba CD/DVD ROM SD-M1202/Toshiba CD/DVD ROM SD-M1612
*Cinemaster C WDM DVD Driver
*(Add) Sony CRX175A1 CD-RW Drive
*TurtleBeach Montego A3 sound/Creative SB Audigy LS sound
*NEC Floppydrive/Panasonic Floppydrive
*STB Invidia 128 Velocity ZX video card
*US Robotics 56KVoice Dialup-modem/Linksys LNE100TX DSL modem
*Corded MS Wheel Mouse/Corded MS optical wheel mouse
*Dell 19-inch D1226H monitor
*Dell natural keybd/MS natural Internet keybd
Add regular accessories: printer, scanner, speakers & headphones, joystick.
A problem occurred most recently that I cannot seem to fix. I found that under 'My Computer' listed on the Performance tab this statement:Compatibiltiy-mode paging reduces overall system performance; then Drive C, Drive D, & Drive E are using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system. In checking at a Microsoft KnowledgeBase site I learned that this occurs when Windows doesn't recognize a driver in either Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files. MS further suggests contacting the Harddrive manufacturer about any suggested fixes. I have done that, but there hasn't been any fixes that have worked.
My Question is, can I try to re-load the driver from the MaxBlast 3 software without harming any stored data on the harddrive? I have asked the question at both MS and Maxtor, but have not heard back from either at this point. The computer seems to operate okay, short of not being able to install the virus protection program. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Its ok to delete the autoexec.bat and the config.sys windows will boot without them. You didn't say what version of windows. If you have 98 or Millenium you can just reinstall and not lose your programs.
Xp is meaner. Save your critical stuff to a cd.
Scan for virus's first. If you have internet available there are several free online scanners.
Maxblast is a particianer and if you run it you run the risk of losing your partician. A maxtor can usually be set up without the maxblast. Just try reinstalling windows unless you have XP. That will fix the compatability issue. Im assuming you have drivers cds for your hardware.

Gary Graefen said:
Its ok to delete the autoexec.bat and the config.sys windows will boot without them. You didn't say what version of windows. If you have 98 or Millenium you can just reinstall and not lose your programs.
Xp is meaner. Save your critical stuff to a cd.
Scan for virus's first. If you have internet available there are several free online scanners.
Maxblast is a particianer and if you run it you run the risk of losing your partician. A maxtor can usually be set up without the maxblast. Just try reinstalling windows unless you have XP. That will fix the compatability issue. Im assuming you have drivers cds for your hardware.

Back
Top Bottom