~Download speeds~

dakxxus

BSOD
Okay, i have two slots for an ethernet/internet? cord on the back of my pc. I have a router, and the two slots are as follows: one is just a default slot, the other is a adapter in my PCIe slot. If i have two cords of internet going into my pc.. will i get better DL speeds? Or is this not a good thing to do altogether?

Okay, i have two slots for an ethernet/internet? cord on the back of my pc. I have a router, and the two slots are as follows: one is just a default slot, the other is a adapter in my PCIe slot. If i have two cords of internet going into my pc.. will i get better DL speeds? Or is this not a good thing to do altogether?

No, running two separate network cards (without port teaming) will not increase your speeds.

how can there not be one person who knows the answer..

Someone does know, you can't expect an answer in 30 min of making a thread though.

if there two speperate DSL lines then u can bridge and make it faster. i think?? not sure though. DJChris has the Net+

if there two speperate DSL lines then u can bridge and make it faster. i think?? not sure though. DJChris has the Net+

You can "bridge" separate DSL lines by something called DSL bonding. However, this just requires the use of multiple modems, you'd still only need one network card in your PCI. These modems would be all need to be part of the same device, such as a dedicated Linux router or Cisco ADSL modems in a higher end Cisco router. All connections in this situation will appear as one, and they will all share an IP address. If you have two 8Mb lines, you could get a theoretical maximum of 16Mb. Virtually no ISP's will support this. You also need a phone line for each modem.

You can also kinda "bridge" together any two internet connections by using something called load balancing. This is mainly done to still have internet connectivity if one of the lines fail, but some routers will balance device load between the two lines. If you have two 8mb lines with this, you could only get 8mb on a single computer, however both could theoretically get 8mb at the same time.

Their is also 802.3ad Port trunking. This is much like DSL bonding, however done with internet. You need to have smart / managed switches that support this technology, which are not what is commonly used in a home environment, as well as your computer needs to support this. This will let two Ethernet lines form a faster line, so if you had 2x 1Gb connections, you could now get a theoretical speed of 2gb. However, a single 1Gb line is already faster than the hard drive in your computer, making this only appeal to extreme users and businesses. You could possibly do this, but it would have no advantage in Internet downloads (Unless you had an Internet connection over 1Gb)

Also, as far as I know bonding together Cable internet under the current standards is impossible.

Back
Top Bottom