Downgrading XP to 98 or ME ???????

Eighty8lx501

Baseband Member
Well I have used up my product key for win xp and all I have for this older p3 is win 98se or win me. I have win xp home installed on it right now, how do I downgrade it?

If you are upgrading to XP, from 98, or 2000, you can just pop the disc in within Windows, and off you go, but with a downgrade, you have to boot from the CD, and just install it that way..

First of all..why do you want to downgrade? Second..that processor and computer is horrible (no offense) I wouldnt downgrade though, just pop in the XP cd, and if it says its been used call up Microsoft, tell them that you just reinstalled windows and such and they will activate it again for you :)

Spec said:
First of all..why do you want to downgrade? Second..that processor and computer is horrible (no offense) I wouldnt downgrade though, just pop in the XP cd, and if it says its been used call up Microsoft, tell them that you just reinstalled windows and such and they will activate it again for you :)

How do you know his specs?

Ok, he has a pentium 3 in his computer :) Lol. Anything for that is bad.

The Pentium III isn't that bad. Sure, it's old, but it gets things done. :) I could play Red Alert 2 and Renegade perfectly fine on it. :p

Of the two, definately go with Windows 98. Windows ME is the biggest piece of crap OS I've ever had the misfortune of using. It's highly unstable and it flatout sucks. If you can, get Windows 2000 instead. It's easier on older computers, but still has better features.

First of all..why do you want to downgrade? Second..that processor and computer is horrible (no offense) I wouldnt downgrade though, just pop in the XP cd, and if it says its been used call up Microsoft, tell them that you just reinstalled windows and such and they will activate it again for you

Just cause its a P3 doesn't mean he can't use it... You can now stop acting liek an idiot if you have nothing important to say then shut it.

As for downgrading yes I figure the best bet would be to reformat the HD then install 98. Anything else could conflict with its self however it should work.

just a note though: i would never go back to Windows Me, that has got to be the worst OS you can have... if you do plan on keeping Win 98, just use the disc for it, and do an automatic install.

to reformat the hhd before you install Win 98, just boot up the win 98 cd, go to dos prompt and put in fdisk, that will reformat the hhd using fat 32 instead of the format NTFS wich is more stable when running XP on it.

Back
Top Bottom