Which do you prefer? AMD or Intel and Why?

AMD

Reasons:
-Does the exact same thing as an Intel Processor for the third of the price
-Tends to be easier to overclock right out of the box for people just learning
-Way more bang for your buck overall

Before any Intel's jump into the thread and begin outrageous claims though.....
-Yes the AMD runs warmer, of course if you know the slightest little thing about keeping your PC case cool, or for that matter how to install a fan properly, then this is the lamest argument in the world. Cause we all know air management and water coolants are what keep our Processors and every other part in the PC running at its peak, not the label slapped on it.
-And no, flat out, Intel is not an overall better processor. It will not last longer automatically than an AMD. It does not have the miracle power of processing more than an AMD of the same range of power. And generally it is not worth the $400 more you will shell out for anything other than the fact that you get to say "oh I have an Intel".

:D

^ actually, my experience of processors at work in terms of heat suggests the opposite. In the same case with the same fans, my Phenom II x4 925 runs about 10C cooler at nearly all times than my friends 1st gen i5, which is a dual i believe rather than a quad, and not even a very good one.

Ah but you may work in a cooler environment than most.

In a room running at roughly 75-80 degrees you will find that the AMD processor with, lets say the same heatsink fan, the same case, and all the same components running (2 video cards 3 hds etc), will have a tendency to run between 4-6 degrees warmer than the Intel just from experience. I've had both, and unfortunately at school I've also had moments where no air conditioning is running and it is as hot as a beach and did notice the difference.

Of course now everything I do with processors is run under a water cooling system so I would have to retest it on that haha.

The thing I hate is that there is a lot of Intel fanboys who says "Intel is better for gaming!" which isn't true. I believe AMD is better for gaming because AMD makes GPU's aswell, and if you have an AMD CPU and an AMD GPU, they work together and make the best gaming rig. Intel is good for businesses and processing power.

AMD
I am a gamer, and as every gamer knows, AMD is better for gaming. Intel is trying to sell to uneducated people, and try to sell a processor for a very large amount for very little performance, AMD, on the otherhand... Sells their processors for very little, and its just plain more bang for your buck. I have always used AMD processors, and always will.

Woah all AMD base here. Well I just go to whats best atm, and I choose intel. They got a killer a price with the 2500k and it benches better than the current AMD processors, and it OCes incredibly good with a cheap cooler.

Last 2 build ive gone Intel, because it was best for me atm, my 3rd last was AMD :)

Right now for gaming go Intel all the way.

The thing I hate is that there is a lot of Intel fanboys who says "Intel is better for gaming!" which isn't true. I believe AMD is better for gaming because AMD makes GPU's aswell, and if you have an AMD CPU and an AMD GPU, they work together and make the best gaming rig. Intel is good for businesses and processing power.

Neither is better for gaming, both are processors which at this day in age have the ability to handle just about anything you throw at it. It is also the case that at this point in time, the processor market is going into "overkill" territory, being that the 6 core processors have not even come close to utilized, and the upcoming 8 core is even more unnecessary. 4 core as is for myself, is able to handle 3 games (for my test run I ran crysis, call of duty mw2, and dragon age origins at one time), microsoft word, excel, 30+ internet browser windows open with multiple flash etc in chrome, itunes, and around 6 other programs without even breaking 60% of usage... So its pretty pointless to have a debate on this.

Basically it boils down to this, do you want to waste money getting an Intel because it is an Intel and you will be able to get boasting rights for it? Or do you go for the less expensive alternative in the AMD? Both work great for everything you throw at them no matter the case.

I choose AMD. The main reason is because they don't change sockets for their CPU's at the rate I change my underwear. Money isn't that much of an issue, and I only game on my home PC. If I used adobe suite or played Flight Simulator, then I would have an Intel processor for the hyper threading.

Back
Top Bottom