Disadvantages to fan speed?

metin

In Runtime
Are there any reasons not to keep your fans at 100% on your pc components?
I mean other than sound because I really don't care about that
I keep my GPU at 100% and CPU at 100% too unless I leave my computer on over night..then I drop the fan speed
My gfx card is OC'd to 700mhz gpu and 1200mhz memory
My processor is not OC'd but I'm going to soon
Any information on this?

Well it would consume more power and shorten your hardware's lifespan

by how much is a question I wonder myself as well

My CPU and one of the case fans is controlled by Q-Fan. It's an on-board fan speed control system on ASUS motherboards.

My GPU fan is controlled by the GPU software.

And to be blatantly honest with you I wouldn't run my fans at 100% all of the time if I can help it.

Most of the time it's unnecessary and it creates noise that you really don't need to deal with.

I.E. It gets pretty cold here at night and at the moment my computer is in a room near the back door. So it will experience temperatures below 15'C. In the mornings I switch on and due to Q-Fan my CPU and case fan don't start spinning till i've actually booted into Windows, and opened up my web browser, when I switch on in the morning because it's that cold. Where as in the hotter months the opposite happens.

My GPU fan is the same too. If the fans aren't needed, cause it's cold, then they won't spin at all!

Now i'm up for this rather than a noisy computer that just doesn't need to be noisy. And my CPU & GPU are OC'd.

So all i'm saying is have faith in software and temperature control that will make for a quieter computing experience.

:)

Noise and shorter fan life. Depends on the type of bearing and how it's mounted if using a sleeve bearing.

All my fans are controlled by myself, so I run them at 100% all the time :D Except for the graphics card, which I don't need to run at max.
But for the average user, less noise and longer life span is better of course.

Back
Top Bottom