Difference between XP OEM and RETAIL

oem is original equipment manufactuere and retail is just retail. oem is just the bare-bones things, so all you'll get for xp is the shiny disk and the key code. retail you get some other stuff. Just get oem... it's cheaper and it works exactly the same.

Which is pretty much exactly what I said... except I didn't look anything up... lol.. but nice link.

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions are specifically designed for a particular computer like a Dell Inspiron 6000. This version is primarily used by major computer companies and has specific drivers and applications that enable it to function correctly. You may be able to use this if you know how to custom build the operating system. The OEM contains an application that customizes the XP install process and builds an ISO.

The retail, however, is like a general operating system designed to work with most computer configurations. It has drivers that support most of the hardware used today.

Thanks, guess I didn't pay attention *opps* while I was looking it up. I'll pay more attention while posting next time.

Cheers!:)

Lol... just thought I'd let you know... but it's always hard to keep up with things... no problem at all....

AnonymousI said:
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions are specifically designed for a particular computer like a Dell Inspiron 6000. This version is primarily used by major computer companies and has specific drivers and applications that enable it to function correctly. You may be able to use this if you know how to custom build the operating system. The OEM contains an application that customizes the XP install process and builds an ISO.

The retail, however, is like a general operating system designed to work with most computer configurations. It has drivers that support most of the hardware used today.

This is inaccurate. The OEM version of Windows is just as the others have described above. It does not involve anything about the specific computer it is being installed on. What you are thinking of is the restore discs that are included with most computers. It does have an OEM copy of Windows integrated into it, but it also has all the other programs and specific drivers as well.

Back
Top Bottom