did my computer loose my codecs.

darkserpant

In Runtime
I have a external Lite on dvd burner. I have been using it for about 6 months. Now all of a sudden it no longer detects the burner. If I would unplug it from the computer that sound the computer makes when unplugging and plugging something in does work(it does make that sound) But if I would go to my computer that drive does not show up. Do I need to download the codecs again for the computer to reconize it again. I tried to play a movie on it and nothing. I am running xp if you need to know that. Thanks for all your help.

Your CODECS dont have anything to do with the device been recognised in explorer etc. CODECS are for converting video to enable playback etc. Have you looked in device manager for problems in there?

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I have three dvd rom drives. A normal dvd rom drive and a dvd burner drive in my computer. And I have that external dvd burner that I can't get to work. I went into device manager and it shows 2 dvd drives and it gives some letters and numbers that I'm not sure which numbers go to what drive. But anyway should'nt there be three dvd drives to showe up there? thanks

Check under Universal serial bus controllers, and look inside each hub in there, see if its listed there. Also, have you or anyone else made any recent changes to the system, before this started. Things like adding new hardware / software, or altering any settings etc?

The only thing that is under universal serial bus controllers are usb universal host controllers, usb root hubs, usb mass storage device, usb printing support. And no I am the only one who uses the comp. I went to lite on websight and could'nt find anything to help me there. I no longer have the setup disk that came with the burner cause xp is plug and play. Stupid me!

So you havent made any changes to your system recently? You could always use system restore and restore it back to when it was working

Wow, It hasen't been working for about 6 months. I just decided it was time to try and fix. Is there a way where I can take it out of my comp. and try and load it from scratch again? But I don't have the setup disk. I don't think I ever used the setup disk when I first hooked it up. But the only thing I can think of doing is just unplugging the usb and then plugging it back in. But that really doesen't do anything but make a sound that the comp. makes when unplugging something. I am at a loss.

What model is the burner? Also have you tried connecting to different USB ports? (to rule out a bad port). Is it self powered? (to rule out a PSU problem) You could also uninstall the USB drivers, and reboot the machine, and let XP reinstall them (to rule out faulty driver)

Back
Top Bottom