Did the MB die, or the CPU?

bass_mouth

Beta member
I was doing a budget build for my brother with some old parts I had lying around, I had installed an OS all of the drivers and was set to go. But as the AV software was updating the whole system just froze, no mouse movement, no key responses nothing. I thought it could be the HDD, so I forced it to power down disconnted the HDD but I got no screen showing up, no beeps. I took out the RAM and got a few loud beeps (I think they were the "no ram beeps" if there is such a thing) and still no screen. I tried one ram stick at a time and it's the same thing: no screen no beeps. So I think it's the CPU or motherboard, but how could I be sure? I wouldn't power on if it were just the power supply would it?

Ok, well I guess it was the power supply that died. I just tried a different one and I get the boot up screen. Is it possible for only one plug to mess up in on the power supply? Like only the cpu plug or something?

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Very strange stuff... the power light comes on and the cpu fan spins with the other power supply, but no boot..... oh well this is what I get for using a 305W dell PSU.

I thought it was that before... but when I physically unplugged the cpu power plug to check, the fan would speed at a maximum speed as soon as I hit the power button, but while plugged up it didn't do that... man... I don't know. I know this is a "problem solved" status now, but I just wish I knew why it was behaving the way it was.

Back
Top Bottom