Did I fry my CPU, or MOBO???

darvocet_outlaw

In Runtime
Ok, I've got an old emachine, with a socket 370 mobo that originaly came with a 466Mhz Celeron. I had an extra 1Ghz Celeron lying around, so I tried swapping out the processors.
After installing the 1Ghz chip, my comp would boot, then shutdown in a few seconds. After I reinstalled the 466Mhz, it would boot, stay powered up, but there was no video output (the monitor registered a connection because I didn't get a "no signal" message, but the LED stayed yellow like it was in hibernation), and no POST codes.

I wanted to use this old machine as a server for my website, so I'm hoping I just fried my CPU (via static), in which case I could pick up another chip from ebay.

If anybody has the answer let me know...thanks.

Oh this could be a lot of variables.. different things... just hope for the best. It could be the video card... the CPU.. the motherboard. Most likely it is not the video card. But it could either be the CPU or mobo.

it's got onboard video, if that helps.....so in order to fry the video, wouldn't I have most likely fried the MOBO too?

Yeah I'm sorry I couldn't of been much help... you could try to get a new CPU... but I'm not sure..

The worse case scenario is that it could be both.

Thanks for the replies. All is well now!
I forgot to reconnect the CPU fan and that was what was causing problems. Works like new now :)

yeah I wish that you would let us have our own.. lol.. and I'm not talking about one of the forum supplied ones...

Back
Top Bottom