Desktop Hard drive to Laptop Hard drive

HDRoadKing02

Solid State Member
Forgive me if I'm in the wrong area. I have a client that is wanting all the information on her desktop changed over to her laptop. I know you can do this via a thumbdrive or flashdrive, I have done some work that way, but man it's gonna take forever. Is there something easier or faster or more efficient so that I can transfer the data from the desktop to the laptop??

Thank you for the help and again I appologize if I'm in the wrong area.

Are you referring to the Shortcuts on the desktop? It's not hard to due, just make sure the exsisting files are on the laptop, then go into Explore, find the .exe file, and right click on it and select Send To...then click on Create Shortcut. Unless she has like 50 shortcuts on her desktop, this shouldn't take long, infact, make HER do it.

Besides if the data is on the laptop, that means it has to be installed right? Well, just choose the "Create Desktop Shortcuts" at the end of the installation. And besides that, I don't see why SHE can't do it, if she needs it done so bad why can't she do it?

[EDIT] Also, in Windows XP, there's a utility that allows you to transfer Desktop information to another computer, I believe the utility is called, Desktop Ultility Transfer Wizard." Or somethign liek that. Should be under System Tools or somethign relavent to that. :)

Nope, I mean transfering all the information on a desktop hard drive to a laptop hard drive. Physically, like w/ a desktop you can hook 2 hard drives up, but not so simple with a laptop.

I need to transfer the files and programs from the desktop's hard drive to the laptop's hard drive.

Would it be possible with an ethernet cable? This is just a thought; I have no idea how to do it.

im not sure about ethernet. i know there is a way to do it. try googleing "data transfer programs" or something to that nature

I wouldn't see why not, since it does link them. I believe that the cables for all HDD's have the input and output "channels" on them.

you're right. i didn't think about that. i probly just assumed they might have not because i never heard about it. maybe i should do some research on it

uh.. yes you can do it with an ethernet cable as long as one computer has a router. It needs to host the LAN. (local area network). You just set up a network for 2 comptuers and go to my network settings on the laptop and select the only viable option. However if you dont have a router.. i'd suggest just buying a 4 gig flash drive and doing it the ye ol' fashioned way.

it will not work with installed programs i dont think... because it would have to copy the registery too. you will also have to figure out the drivers...

Back
Top Bottom