Degaussed Hard drive

DaVinci

Baseband Member
Ok so i've got a task. I've got a Hard Disk that has been Degaussed. From what i understand is the hard disk has notches inside the drive that reads and writes the information. When the hard drive is degaussed the notches are completely erased deleting all the data, making it basically useless. My task is to find out how to put the notches back, either by restoration (if possible) or manually doing it my self. So that the hard disk can be used again. I dont have to actually do it i just have to find out how you would do it. Also i was told that NASA and other corporations use degaussing to clear their disk before they get rid of them. So i would assume that it would be impossible to get the data that was originally on the disk back, so at this point i just need to figure out how to get the notches back to where the hard drive can be used.

As far as I know when you degauss a hard drive its pretty much useless. Although it will depend on the strength of the magnetic field and its orientation.

And degaussing is a very deep erasure process. Servo tracks on the disk platters are also demagnetized so no reference points for the heads.

Good luck.

yea i've been trying to google it and not much about actually getting the HDD working again, all info about actually degaussing it

yea i've been trying to google it and not much about actually getting the HDD working again, all info about actually degaussing it

Probably because it's pretty much impossible to get it working again.

Unless your sure the HD has been de-magnetized i'd at least try it in a machine.

Back
Top Bottom