DDR2 for Stock Q6700

CrimsonV6

Solid State Member
After doing some research online, I am still a bit confused as to which speed of DDR2 would best suit my Q6700 CPU. I will not be overclocking the processor. I currently have PC5300 in my build, but with the price of PC8500 so low, I would like to upgrade. The problem is, I see others stating that running a memory to cpu ratio of 1:1 is best, which means, I would have to downgrade to PC4200 instead of uprgrading to PC8500. Any advice?

PC5300 is DDR 667. The Q6700 runs a 266MHz FSB, so at 1:1 ratio the RAM is at 533MHz. Increasing the ratio won't increase performance. Not much point in upgrading IMO.

PC5300 is DDR 667. The Q6700 runs a 266MHz FSB, so at 1:1 ratio the RAM is at 533MHz. Increasing the ratio won't increase performance. Not much point in upgrading IMO.

^---yeah, though you could try to get some DDR2 800MHz with tighter timings, 800MHz because it would allow you to OC with an 8 multiplier and still run a 1:1 ratio, but most importantly if you do upgrade, make sure to get some RAM with some puuuuuurty heatspreaders...

:D

I didn't know that DDR 667 was able to run at 1:1 with a 1066 CPU. I thought RAM speed and CPU bus speed had to be divisble by the same integer. If so, do I have to manually set my ratio to 1:1 or will it automatically set it? My MB is a P5Q.

I didn't know that DDR 667 was able to run at 1:1 with a 1066 CPU. I thought RAM speed and CPU bus speed had to be divisble by the same integer. If so, do I have to manually set my ratio to 1:1 or will it automatically set it? My MB is a P5Q.

no, with a 1:1 ratio set in the bios the memory will clock down to 533MHz because the FSB is running at 1066MHz at stock settings, I have an E6600 that hasn't seen anything less than 3.00GHz and a 1333FSB in years, you could probably easily overclock your cpu to 3.00 on the stock cooler, it would be less than a 25% overclock...

what I was saying in my post was that you could drop the multiplier down to 8 instead of 9 and run a higher FSB, thus allowing to run your RAM at or near it's rated speed depending how far you push your overclock, but unless you have an aftermarket cooler I wouldn't suggest pushin an OC too far, with that motherboard you could probably easily hit 1600MHz or more FSB allowing you to get faster RAM (800MHz DDR2) and run it at it's rated speed...

pushing a Q6700 isnt as easy as one might think
(or at least mine)
didnt go as i wanted it
but then again i only kept it with a 10 multiplyer
instead of a 9 or an 8

in my next attempt i will use a multiplyer of 8 and see how that works for me

pushing a Q6700 isnt as easy as one might think
(or at least mine)
didnt go as i wanted it
but then again i only kept it with a 10 multiplyer
instead of a 9 or an 8

in my next attempt i will use a multiplyer of 8 and see how that works for me

usually it's easier with a higher multiplier, you don't have to worry about FSB walls...

I see. I bought a Thermaltake "Big Typhoon" 2 years ago. I used it for a few months and it has since been collecting dust in my closet. Maybe I should install it. Should that provide ample cooling for a mild overclock? I really didn't want to overclock this CPU just yet, but all this talk about it makes me want to do so.
Anyway, I guess the bottom line is that if I don't overclock my CPU, any RAM faster than DDR 533 won't make a difference in performance, right? Also, everything I read about keeping Memory speed and Cpu fsb at 1:1 for best performance is correct, right?

usually it's easier with a higher multiplier, you don't have to worry about FSB walls...

is there any way that it makes any sense that the CPU running with a 10 multiplyer
is at its stability threshold?
its at that point where it is still stable, but wont be at a faster FSB
so one could back it down to a multiplyer of 8 and still get to the same GHz (target OC)
the only reason why i avoided 9 (or why i am avoiding) is because of the math
its much harder to get to the target with a 9 multiplyer
but im recording too many good TV shows to give it a shot right now
so that will have to wait for another day

Back
Top Bottom