Dangerous to have two or more sets of dual channel rams?

yexusbeliever1

Baseband Member
Need help here! I don't know if it will kill my motherboard if I do this.

I want to get a set of dual channel rams 2GB total (2 of 1 GB rams). Then later I want to add another set of dual channel rams, probably another 2GB or 4GB.

By having two sets of dual rams in my motherboard, will that burn out my motherboard? Or will this be alright?

It'll be fine.
I don't think any of them will run dual channel any more though however, if you insert more than 2 sticks, but thats not a problem.

You can have two dual channel setups. Just make sure the pairs are all the same. It won't burn out. It's designed to hold 4GB max or 8GB depending on your motherboard.

no i have 4 sticks of ram running in 2 sets of dual channel. i think they might not OC as well though. my first 2 sticks could clock at DDR 5-5-5-15 1080 from 800, with 4 sticks i can barely clock them past 900

Usually the more slots/memory you have, the more limitations you will have. I couldn't get 4GB of RAM on my system stable past 400 FSB, and voltages were at 2.2. I don't want to go any farther, I want my RAM to last. But I've heard about newer motherboards handling all four slots better with overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom