damage?

racincc84

Baseband Member
The other day the power cable going to my hard drive shorted out, causing the hard drive to turn on and off rapidly about 7 times. The computer then froze so i shut it down, replaced the connector, and upon starting back up it takes an incrediblely long time to boot up. After the XP boot screen displays, it takes about 5 minutes to get to the logon screen, and about another 5 minutes after that to get to the desktop. Once windows finally does load, everything is fine. Could my hard drive have physically been damaged, or did windows just get corrupted?

I think its more likely to be corrupted, try re-installin xp, its the best option!!! Then if its still slow u've got a hardware prob!!

Yes and No...

When the power to the drive stutters the heads skip accross the platter. This can do some damage but with modern drives you really have to work at it.
From the start menu button select run then type in chkdsk /r
Note the space between the k and the /
It's supposed to be there.
Let this run. It will say it needs to run at next bootup. Tell it ok and reboot. If you have any drain bamaged sectors it will attempt to recover them. If it can't it will lock it out and juggle the data to a good sector.
This will take some time depending on the size of the target drive.
After it completes its task it will continue to boot up. Now go back to the run prompt and type in sfc /scannow. Have your xp cd in the drive as it referances files off the cd. This will correct or replace altered or lost system files. This little life saver doesn't take all that long to run either.
I hope that helps. Please post back and let us know how it came out.

Yeah, I learnt from that too :D Thanks for that. Especailly the scannow command!

thanks for the help!! I ran the scandisk utility ( which found no errors) and the utility to replace any corrupt system files. I still had the problem, so i formatted my drive and reinstalled XP. Everything was going great up until i went to install windows updates. Once i finished installing the updates, i have the same problem.....except now it takes 5 times as long after the xp boot screen is displayed to load. I have no idea what the problem is now. Arrrgggg!!!

Do you mean after installing Service Pack 2?
Some people do have this problem, with it being slower at bootup, though I thought that would be fixed by now.

yeah, it was after i installed SP2. I am confused as to why it is doing it now though; i had SP2 on the same computer for 3 months with no problem. Do you know how to solve this problem?

No, I'm afriad I don't :(

I've not seen many people get it, as SP2 usually makes it faster.

I know this can't be it, since its only after you've updated, but just as a precaution, try and push the cables in going into the motherboard and your harddrive. I'm doubt this will sort it though.

Sorry, but I hope you get it sorted

Back
Top Bottom