:( CPU Temperature

Virus.exe

Beta member
My computer seems to be reaching some ridiculous temperatures. It's not overclocked in any way. The first picture is of the cpu temperature under the everest stress test for just 3 mins. The second picture was taken a few minutes later and usually the temperature is between 65-70. This is with just using the internet, skype and adobe reader specifically.

Right now I've underclocked my CPU to 1.6GHz and it's running between 43-47 with just chrome+skype open. I've had this computer for a year and these are the specs:

Mobo: Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom x2 555 BE
PSU: Corsair 500W CX
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX460
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB
HDD: WD CB 1TB
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB

CPU has stock cooler and stock thermal paste. Case is Antec300 with all fan slots being used. Thank you.

Attachments

• Temperature.PNG
    Temperature.PNG
    83 KB · Views: 11
  • Temp Idle.jpg
    Temp Idle.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 6
First, overclocking is a bad idea. I am educated on the topic, but it really isn't worth it. Of course, that's my opinion. You might wanna try replacing the CPU fan and the thermal paste. Additionally, I wonder if you have enough system fans, so that you aren't recycling hot air but actually letting hot air out and cold air in. 75 is too warm for normal use. Not sure why you are running stress tests though.

First, overclocking is a bad idea. I am educated on the topic, but it really isn't worth it. Of course, that's my opinion. You might wanna try replacing the CPU fan and the thermal paste. Additionally, I wonder if you have enough system fans, so that you aren't recycling hot air but actually letting hot air out and cold air in. 75 is too warm for normal use. Not sure why you are running stress tests though.

I ran a stress test to see how high the temperatures would reach since the normal temperatures for every day use was exceptionally high. Like I said, I've currently underclocked it by half to keep the temperatures between 43-47. At stock speeds, the temperature is almost reaching 70 without much load. I intend on getting a H40/60 with some MX-4 thermal paste but regardless, the temperatures for stock is too high and I think almost close to the limit?

Well, it depends on the chip, but yeah 70 C is about when sh*t starts to go downhill. At least you are aware of it, and are taking steps to address it.

Knowing Is Half The Battle - G.I. Joe!!!

Your heatsink is either not making a good contact point with the CPU, or the temperature sensor is faulty (and in some cases, it's not the CPU but the motherboard's fault)

Have you done the touch test yet? Does the heatsink actually get very warm at all? In a lot of these cases, the system reports some obscene number, but the heatsink itself is actually very cool to the touch - and even the area around the CPU is also cool (another thing to check for)

Also, we use the Antec 300 at work - there is nothing wrong with that case's default air flow, if all the fan slots are being used, that case is downright chilly. Something is amiss with the temp sensor or lack of contact with the CPU.

The temps reported here are completely bonkers which is why I think the sensor is faulty. AMD CPUs won't get this hot and stay this hot before they clock themselves down, just like the Intel chips do (at around 100C).

Back
Top Bottom