CPU temperature

horseradish

Beta member
Seem to be getting the blue srceen of death, sporadically could be within in an hour or several. I read some where it could be CPU overheating so i checked the temperature in the bios and with the utility that came with the motherboard.

The temperature of the CPU when idle is 80 celsius/176 fahrenheit (from what i've read is alot) I decided to take the side panel off found this reduced it to 66/150.

but when playing a game like Civlization 4 the CPU temperature rockets to 88 and over celsius. (this is with the side panel off i don't know what it is like with it on)

I have a thermaltake case and all fans seem to be running fine. Could the problem lie in the thermal paste or the heatsink?

Im running intel pentium 4 3GHz 530 prescott processor (I heard these run at high temperatures)

I honestly don't know what temperature it should be running at only going by the Asus utility suggested which is 66/150.

Any suggestions?

i got the Intel Pentium 4 630 3GHz, it runs at 29 celsius wen idle, and about 50 celsius wen the cpu is 100%, i dont no if the 5XX series has got intel speedstep on, but the 6XX series has. intel speedstep really helps the top keep low

Raidmax Ninja Black Case With 500 Watt Psu.
Asus P5ND2 SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard. 8GB / 4GB DDR2 667.
Intel Pentium 4 630 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.0GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology.
XFX GeForce PCX6600 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express).
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC5300 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit.
Sony DWQ30AB 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter.
Samsung SpinPoint P HD080HJ 80GB SATA-II 8MB Cache + Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 120GB 6L120M0 SATA 8MB Cache.
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1

HOLY CRAP!!! 80C?!?!? THEN 88C!?!?! Dude... that's way way way too hot. If you use that cpu too long you could seriously put a dent in that cpu's life. Seriously. What I need you to do is try a different heatsink on that comp. Well, first, if you don't mind the noise and don't want to spend the money, go to BIOS and turn your fans way up. Then, if that doens't work, get a new heatsink and get some new thermal paste. Make sure you put 99% isopropyl on that cpu. Otherwise... that thing could melt.... fast....

Anythign above 80C on a Prescott is gettign hot. I ran stably at 76C when playing games, didn't encounter any problems. I don't know why you're running at that temperature. :confused:

Cheers, I ve got the fans running at full speed but, still at the moment idle 65/147, but playing games jumps to 80/176 +. So will try a new heat sink, or would it be good to invest in water cooling, I ve never looked at them butwould like to know more. how do you take thermal paste off our cpu? to put on a fresh batch

You take 99% isopropyl and you wipe the thermal paste off the cpu. Then, apply a new one layer and then the heatsink on top of that. I would try a new heatsink. It's cheaper than water cooling. Then, if not, I would go liquid. If you want temperatures lower than a well diggers arse, go vapor change. You're in the negative degrees there...

Cheers. I ll try the thermal paste later this weekend. watercooling sounds appealing that it will be much quieter and give me a chance to try overclocking.

Installed new heatsink and thermal paste. got the temperature idle to 34 celsuis idle, and max 44 celsuis. Thanks for all your help

horseradish said:
Im running intel pentium 4 3GHz 530 prescott processor (I heard these run at high temperatures)

Wait.. Its a 530, and 3.0ghz? So does it doesnt it have HT tech?

yeh the intel pentium 4 3GHz 530 prescott processor has Hyper-Threading Technology, buts its hasnt got Enhanced Intel SpeedStep or EM64T

Back
Top Bottom