cpu overheating?

killakobra

Baseband Member
i'm running a AMD 2000+ xp ATM and it's running at 61 C idle and maxing out around 66.5 C. is this too hot for the chip?

if u can go ahead and get urself an aftermarket Heatsink/Fan... and maybe somemore case fans...

that'll drop ur temps...

I don't really trust software temperature monitors. My E6300 got up to 70 degrees Celcius on the stock cooler, stock clocks and voltages, no matter what thermal paste I used and how I applied it.

Our E6400 machine ran below ambient temperatures at 1.4V. Yeah, right.

Finally, our Athlon XP machine told us it was getting up to 90 Celsius. Not sure if I would have a CPU or a paperweight at that point. Well, now it is a paperweight because I fried it because of a loose power cord.

Anyway, the cheapest thing you could do is get some Arctic Silver MX-2 or Arctic Silver 5 and re-seat your heatsink. If you feel like spending money, you could always get an aftermarket heatsink.

I don't know too much about Socket A systems, but I think they did tend to run warm.

i'm not really worried about this pc. it's probably going to get trashed when i get my new set up from new egg. i let it sit all saterday and this morning i started it up and it was at 57 C when i logged in(kinda slow to boot) but climbed right back up to 61 C.

Back
Top Bottom