cpu hsf

So sanding the bottom of the hsf will make it do better?

It's more that just sanding the bottom of the heatsink. I needs to be perfectly flat so if you sand it wrong it can become curved and not perform as well. Basically the idea is to remove as many of the imperfections as possible in order to get as much material in contact with the CPU. The Heatsink compound fills in the rest.

It's more that just sanding the bottom of the heatsink. I needs to be perfectly flat so if you sand it wrong it can become curved and not perform as well. Basically the idea is to remove as many of the imperfections as possible in order to get as much material in contact with the CPU. The Heatsink compound fills in the rest.

Oh... ok, I just didn't really know.. Thanks!!!!:D :D

I also have another Question... Would a lapped true fit in this case? With the 250mm fan in?

I'm not sure if it will fit in that case, you may have to run without the 250MM fan.

When you lap it, make sure you get a piece of glass to lap it on.

Oh... ok, I just didn't really know.. Thanks!!!!:D :D

I also have another Question... Would a lapped true fit in this case? With the 250mm fan in?

The heat sink should have a 120mm fan. As far as the 250mm case fan, you may have to remove it. I installed a Dark knight in my computer last night and it just barely fit in a CoolMaste Elite 335 case. It looks a lot like the one you posted a link for. Here is a photo:

Air_flow.jpg

[edit]I forgot to say, if you want to pay them to lap the heatsink for you I would expect they would do a good job of it. I don't know that I would consider it worth the cost though.[end edit]

For an extra $19, CrazyPC.com will lap the TRUE.

The TRUE is 6.32" tall. You could grab a tape measure to see if it will fit between the fan and mobo.

So sanding the bottom of the hsf will make it do better?
Definitely. The TRUE has probably one of the worst stock bases out there. This is a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that it is already one of the best if not THE best performing HSFs money can buy, it gains more from lapping that any other heatsink and pulls further ahead.
Here is a pic of a stock TRUE's base:

TRultar120extreme_TC.jpg

As you can see, it is convex. Only a small portion of the surface is making contact with the CPU, this makes for very inefficient heat transfer.

When the base is lapped, the whole of the base should be making contact with the CPU's IHS. The heat transfer is much more efficient and performance is improved drastically.

Here's PokerDegenerate's thread about lapping, it should give you a lot more info: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=85152

Back
Top Bottom