CPU fan is touching heatsink on mb... / What todo with unused powercables from PSU?

TrAn$MiT

Solid State Member
1) I have a NForce 680i mobo, which has a heat sink for the system. I also have a Tuniq 120 CPU heat sink (if you have one you know how big this sucker is). The fan frame for my cpu heatsink is touching my mobo heatsink. I actually didn't even notice until I had everything connected and ready to go because the fan frame is not resting on it and the heatsink fins wheren't being bent. Is this a problem? I'ma open my case up today and check it out so I can give a better discription and see if anything nasty has happened.

2) What do I do about extra power cables from my power-supply that I don't use? Is it bad to have them sitting in the case without a cover or something to ground themout? Can I open up my power-suplly and remove them safely(incase I need them at a later date)?

4) Is it best to use bios smart fan settings, download a smart fan program, or just have the fans set at a constat speed. (Planning on overclocking my system some)

Re: CPU fan is touching heatsink on mb... / What todo with unused powercables from PSU?

1) Cant comment as i havent used one
2) Just cable tie them out the way, dont open the PSU
3) Firewire
4) Ive just got mine running constant, the smartfan stuff will quieten the system down when not under load (i think)

TrAn$MiT said:
1) I have a NForce 680i mobo, which has a heat sink for the system. I also have a Tuniq 120 CPU heat sink (if you have one you know how big this sucker is). The fan frame for my cpu heatsink is touching my mobo heatsink. I actually didn't even notice until I had everything connected and ready to go because the fan frame is not resting on it and the heatsink fins wheren't being bent. Is this a problem? I'ma open my case up today and check it out so I can give a better discription and see if anything nasty has happened.

2) What do I do about extra power cables from my power-supply that I don't use? Is it bad to have them sitting in the case without a cover or something to ground themout? Can I open up my power-suplly and remove them safely(incase I need them at a later date)?

3) What the hell is IEEE 1934a, figured it's gota be something popular cause its on the front of my case.

4) Is it best to use bios smart fan settings, download a smart fan program, or just have the fans set at a constat speed. (Planning on overclocking my system some)
1)That sounds a bit dodgey , wouldnt know what to do , somebody else may help on this one
2) I would leave them be , shouldnt realy open up your psu unless you know what you are doing , also they should be ok uncovered , i cable tie mine away
3) Firewire , that is what ieee1394a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire
4)get ta fan controller , then you can turn them down when not needed at full speed

Re: CPU fan is touching heatsink on mb... / What todo with unused powercables from PSU?

2 )I didn't cable tie mine, there was some space near psu that the cords fit into. They don't effect air flow very badly, but some. Plus I remember seeing my old dell having plastic or rubber on the connectors that wern't used.

3) Thanks for the site muz 379

1) I really don't see a problem with the Tuniq touching the NB heatsink other than it making a bit of noise. You could carefully file down the part where they contact to give it a bit more clearance.

2) That's what I do with my extra cable, I just found a spot to tuck them in at.

4) You can try the smart fan settings to see how it works out. But you may just end up leaving it a full speed since you'll be overclocking. But then, with a 120mm fan, it doesn't generate much noise anyway.

TrAn$MiT said:
2 )I didn't cable tie mine, there was some space near psu that the cords fit into. They don't effect air flow very badly, but some. Plus I remember seeing my old dell having plastic or rubber on the connectors that wern't used.

3) Thanks for the site muz 379
2) wouldnt know about that ,
£) Its wikipedia , it has an article about most things , there was one about this site but then it got removed , i wouldnt trust everything you read in there though cos just about anybody witha computer can edit it and sometimes info can be incorrect or biased

Back
Top Bottom