Couple of questions

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Got a couple of questions dealing with the CPU. I am swapping boards with a friend and we will have to change CPUs. It deals with AM2 sockets

#1 - When i remove the heatsink, my friends told me to leave my computer running for a while so the thermal paste gets hot and melts, then take off the heatsink. But how do i take the CPU out of the slot? I never took a CPU out before, do i just grab it by the heatspreader and take it out?

#2 - I got some AS5, and some Arctic Cleaners, do i remove the old thermal paste when its on the mobo? or do i put it in that black thing then remove the thermal paste? I only saw videos removing thermal paste from LGA 775 sockets.

#3 - I apply about 3/4 of a BB right? then get some kind of card and smear it around the heatspreader or use a ziplock bag and tightly wrap it around my finger, then use a quetip to take off the ones that went on ths side? Or can i just put the thermal on the middle (3/4 of BB) then put on the HSF and move it 1-2 degrees left and right?

#4 - i am going to get a new HSF later, but i was wondering how many degrees will get cooler if i used the stock HSF and the AS5.

#5 - when putting the HSF on the CPU, i put it on top, spin it about 1-2 degrees to the left and right to get the thermal all around, and then lock it in place right?

This will only apply to my CPU, my friends CPU will be new, and i think only the Heatsink will have the thermal so it will be easier to remove.
i will be getting everything by this Friday.

Thanks in advance

#1 - After removing the HSF, just lift up the CPU lockdown lever and then remove the CPU.

#2 - You should clean the CPU after removing it from the motherboard.

#3 and #5 - Arctic Silver 5 Instructions

#4 - You will see some improvement, but not much. About 2°C or so.

i was reading on the instructions earlier, but the step that confused me was after they say to put the 3/4 BB size, and before applying the HSF.
So i dont know if i am suppose to smear it around myself or do i just put the HSF on top.

You just put a small drop of AS5 on the CPU, then install the HSF and give it a slight twist to spread the paste. :D

ah. so no need to smear it around the heat spreader.
Thanks.

Correct.

Since the core of the CPU is in the center of the heatspreader, there really isn't a need to cover the entire surface with paste.

okay, i just bought my OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF for my CPU, and the AS5 Should come tomorrow.
where do i put my CPU on to clean it?

seems kind of hard....
i got some arctiClean.
(guide)
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/ac/ins_arcticlean.pdf

1. so i hold the CPU with one hand
2. take a credit card, and scrape off the thermal pad with the other hand
3. Then i put a couple of drops of ArctiClean 1 for about 30-60 sec then wipe with a paper towel.
4. Then after its clean, i put a couple of drops of ArctiClean 2
5. Wipe with a Lint free clothes (thinking of using my glasses clothes)
This would be done holding with one hand, and the other hand do all those
6. Put the CPU back on the Mobo
7. Apply 3.4 of a BB
8. Put on HSF, and turn it a couple of degrees left and right to spread the Thermal paste
9. Lock the HSF
10. Turn on the computer, and takes 200 hours to work as it should, but require a daily use basis of where i turn off computer when not in use.

Thats what i should do right?

Back
Top Bottom