couple of problems..

mark thorpe

Golden Master
1) CD drive wont work.. was working one day, stopped the next.. dunno if its just a duff drive, or if its something to do with the software, it still boots from CD, but if i put a CD in when its running it just does nothing at all

2) no sound.. it was working 2 days ago, now it, well, isnt.. ive just got an onboard sound card, nothing special.. but it is annoying

3) puter refuses to shut down properly, it does the shut down procedure then does nothing til i hold the power button down, doesnt actually turn off..

pscrn2xd1.jpg

any info would be useful..

I know in windows vista you have to click the arrow next to the turn off button if you just click that it only standby's itself.
No sure about cd driver.
Were you playing loud music if sound card plays to loud it just blows (I was told when it happend to me)

Mark have you scanned for spy ware etc, have you installed any new drivers or removed any old files that might have shared the folders of you sound or CD drive? W32 may be, try system restore if you haven't already

Not sure about the CD ROM problem. It's kind of funny how it can boot from it upon power up, but when Windows is fully loaded, it doesn't work. It leads me to believe that there has got to be a driver issue with the CD drive in Windows. I would go into Device Manager to check out the CD RW drive to see if there's any discrepancys there. If so, delete it so it's not showing in the Device Manager. Then click on the "Scan for Hardware Changes" button in the Device Manager. Your CD ROM should pick up right away and reinstall the windows drivers.

Do the same for sound too. It may be corrupted drivers. Just double check the volume controls, just in case.

As for the shutdown problem, I'm wondering if there are any Windows services running and refusing to stop while shutting down? There are some registry hack you can do but it's risky. If you force it to shut down too fast, whatever Windows is doing (perhaps something good that takes a lot of time), you may result in corrupt data. Is it configuring Windows Updates? That always take awhile from my experience. Is it a fresh install of Windows Vista?

Is it slow too when you boot the PC? Vista has been known to take an excessively longer time to shutdown than XP since it loads a lot more processes and is far more complicated in handling claimed resources. Mostly some hardware driver not properly unloading causes Vista to wait a very long time until it shuts down.

I would let it run it's course, then go off to eat some ice cream or something and come back to see.

cheers.. tried the suggestions to no avail, i think either the onboard sound is gone or the speakers on the screen, not sure which..

as far as the shutting down goes, i left it, and it sat around doing nothing with a black screen for about 20 minuites and then restarted.. thats bizarre, but not too much of a problem cause i just hold down the power button and it shuts down itself..

i think i may have a duff CD drive too, its now saying 'this device cannot start'. still is able to boot from CD, but it seems to be failing once its up and running.. weird.. this was a very cheap computer anyway, so im not overly fussed.. just would be nice to have it all working as its supposed to..

thanks for the help guys :)

1.) download AVG if you dont have it already
2.) get all the updates for it
3.) reboot into safe mode(dont do with networking)
4.) do a virus scan and see what comes up

a system restore might solve the problem but for some reason they dont work as well i thought. i had a virus or two on an XP machine did a system restore from a month ago, same problems unfourtanly.

Edit:
also try downloading CCleaner and uninstalling all drivers and re installing them. or you can do both if one kind of fixes the problems.

Mark, for you sound have you tried going on Microsoft update to see if theres any drivers for your onbourd sound also try a windows repair of the VISTA CD

ive scanned in safe.. and ive tried the drivers too, nothing seemed to work, but ive managed to fix my laptop now, so i can do everything i need to on here now, thanks for the help.. i will re-install windows on it when ive got time to back everything up properly. cheers guys :)

Back
Top Bottom