couple newbie questions

ChuNalt787

In Runtime
Alright im buildin a custom comp over the summer. I know a decent amount about comp software but when it comes to hardware and compatibility im a retard.

First off can someone please explain the numbering system for AMD's. I understand the 6800 part but I dont know how to select one 6800 from another.

Second how do you determine ram compatibility with the motherboard.

Finaly how would I know what type of HDD drive, such as SATA or IDE, my motherboard supports.

Urm...I think you need much more experience. No AMD processors go up to 6800. I beleive you mean video cards, the nVidia 6800, 6800 GT, and 6800 Ultra. If so, they just have different clock speeds and such. I have a GT and am quite happy with it.

The main compatability you must worry about is the socket. All info you need should be provided on the box or on the site you purchse the board...

Just as above. Most of the RAM today is DDR. There are various speeds, and the mobo's limits should be explained on the site or box...

Most computers come with both IDE and SATA connections, so you're faily open to which ever you want. Just read what the board has to offer.

ok thx for that but i think i was thinkin of an Athlon 64. I just cant remember the numbers. I know about the pentiums but i keep being told that amds are better. Since i obviously know close to nuthin can someone just gimme the basics on what I will want?

AMD's are good for gaming.

How much are you willing to spend, and are you ordering the parts online or buying them at a store?

If you want to build an AMD system, use the Athlon 64 processors. The Athlon XP is out of date and the Sempron is just a budget CPU. I believe the Athlon 64 CPU range from 2800+ all the way to the 4000+. Then there's the Athlon 64 FX CPU which is way too expensive so I don't think you'll have to worry about getting those. You'll see a lot of us that use AMD, use the Athlon 64 3000+ to 4000+. Take a look at my specs down in my signature area.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10248,00.html

If you're running Athlon 64 systems, you'll use DDR SDRAM. I think all motherboards that support this processor are DDR compatible. A lot of motherboards these days support both IDE and SATA. Some support SATAII for higher performance when euqipped with a compatible SATAII drive. Motherboard specifications are usually written in detail at most computer online retailers.

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. They have been very informative. As far as money im still deciding on that one. It all depends on what things cost. I will most likely buy the Mobo at a store and the processor online unless I buy a mobo/processor combo which I will get online. Thx again i really appreciate this.

Once you have an idea how much you want to spend, get back to us. We'll see if we can get started picking out parts from online retailers to fit your needs. If you go to www.newegg.com, they will have a bunch of computer parts you can buy. A lot of us go through them to get parts we need for a computer build or upgrade. You will see a list of motherboards, CPU, RAM, hard drive, DVD burners, video cards, sound cards, etc, etc. I got the goosebumps just typing all that out, whew--I need to calm down.

Yeah, at least if you get them together, you know they'll be compatable. Just watch out that you don't get scammed into buying something less powerful for your money.

SOCKETS

As for AMD 64 processors, these range in two sockets, 754, and 939 depending on the speed, and core (the core is what is used to power it. 939 sockets for example are for Winchester cores and 754 are for the rest I think, and just involve different manufacturing processes (939 uses a 90 nano metre 'nm' process), which doesn't affect performance much, though 939 socket processors tend to run cooler, and so if you see a 3200+ AMD processor with a 754 core and a 939 core Winchester, you will know what it's about))

So make sure you get a motherboard that matches the socket 754, & 939 to the processor you will get, and you should be fine. It is also best to check the support in mhz rating.

RATINGS

Now if you don't know this, it is very helpful.
Pentiums use a different method of mhz and ghz ratings (1000mmegahertz = 1gigahertz) and this is how fast the processor can clock information. Now Pentiums you will find are scaled in numbers like 2.5ghz and 3.0ghz, 3.5ghz etc while AMD's are in numbers like 2500+,3000+, 3200+, 3500+,etc which means that in terms of power these will be as good or better in terms of speed at some tasks than a Pentium at these rated mhz ratings.
If you look at an AMD processor for example at 3500+ but is only has a 2.2ghz processor stated, don't be alarmed, as this will run as fast as a 3.5ghz pentium, but in AMD terms, it only runs at 2.2Ghz.
This is because AMD's use a different way of processing tasks and so one clock gets more from the processor than if it was a Pentium :)

HARD DRIVES

Most modern moterboard will have SATA aswell as but older ones will use IDE, and so will new ones.
I have always used IDE and I'm happy with it. With another inerface, your not going to get that much of a boost unless you spend loads on a drive, and so IDE is the cheaper alternative and is available on all PC's, and with hard drives anyway being as cheap as they are for alot of Gigabytes of storage, you can't do too badly :)
Most drives now run at 7200Rpm too which is the normal now for drives, though faster drives are available with 10,000Rpm speeds, but you will be expected to pay the premium for this technology. So IDE to me seems like your best bet.

RAM

With RAM it is a bit of a harder task, but just read the page, or ask the shop what sort of RAM it takes. It would take DDR, but there are speeds in DDR capablities, for example 3200 speed RAM and 4000 speed RAM. Most boards support 3200 speed and this seems to be the normal so watch when buying chips that you look at the rating, and also on the motherboard how many Gigabytes of memory it can take. 512mb to 1024mb seems to be the normal most people use for PC's, when the motherboard can maybe handle 2Gbs to 3Gbs (1024 a GB = 2048mb). If you can afford it, I'd go about half way in the capability to start with, so if it can support 2Gb, go for 1Gb of RAM ot 2 sticks of 512Mb :)

Dual Channel

You might also find the word Dual Channel mentioned on some RAM sticks and also on some motherboards when you go searching.
What this means, is if you get RAM and a motherboard which supports this feature, you first get two sticks of the same rating of RAM you want (2x 512mb for example to make 1gb) and then connect these up in a special order on the motherboard. This then gives you higher speeds on the RAM chips than if you only used one RAM chip, or a board which didn't support it.
You will be expected to pay a premimum for this technology to, but don't worry too much about it, as I'm only explaining what they mean. Because if they support the feature, it is best to know how to go about getting it to work because RAM is what speeds your computer to work as fast as it should basically. The manual will tell you all anyway how to set this up if you do get compatable hardware:)

I hope this guide doesn't confuse you but rather guides you to find the ones you are looking for. If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask :p

Well both of you guys have been really helpful. Im looking to unload around 200 or less on the motherboard then most likely get a 3700 or 3800 amd depending on price. I know im gonna spend alot on the proccessor but I want this thing to last me for at lease a little while before upgrading. I definately want SLI on my motherboard and at least 4 slots for ram. If anyone can find a good deal for me that would be awsome. Im lookin too but I dont know the best places to look.

I didn't think there is a 3700 AMD 64... but it does seem processor speed is important to you. I really wouldn't aim that high though, as you will pay a Premium for it, as even though it offers higher clock speeds, if you don't use that extra power, its a bit useless. As long as you get a 64 bit AMD, it will last a very long time anyway.

To have SLI meaning having two graphics cards, you are looking towards an Nforce board at the moment, and 4 slots of RAM is usually the normal now.

If you are in the UK, Micro Direct is a great little place

www.microdirect.com

Here is an example of a 939 socket motherboard (AMD Athlon 64, and Athlon FX (a really fast type of processor, and really expensive too)).
It also supports SLI and has a limit of 4Gb which is alot of memory in speed PC3200, in 4 slots :) Also it contains a 7.1 sound card made by RealTek but this isn't a really good company, and so is best to get a sound card maybe made by Creative if you want a good one for the system

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=8224&GroupID=304

Thats the only SLI board they sell though but offers a wide range of upgrading offers :)... I do trust Micro Direct though, and definitely recommend them if you are in the UK

This is one review of the motherboard which gives it a thumbs up:

http://www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/Mobos/2005/939-1st/Asus_A8N-SLI-Deluxe_Jan.shtml

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom