Core i7 920 or Core2Quad Q9550

I think the i7 is quite a bit faster and definitely has high overclockability (as proven by Thelis). It also costs quite a bit more money but as I have recently learned the extra cost is not a problem. I am building a computer for my mom and dad.

What are your parents using the computer for? If it's for basic stuff, why not give them yours and build an i7 rig for yourself?

I think the i7 is quite a bit faster and definitely has high overclockability (as proven by Thelis). It also costs quite a bit more money but as I have recently learned the extra cost is not a problem. I am building a computer for my mom and dad.

Would they actually use the power of a 920?

What are your parents using the computer for? If it's for basic stuff, why not give them yours and build an i7 rig for yourself?

Because for a lot of people, that's not the way things work.

i7's are supposed to operate about 35% faster even in basic operation in Windows 7. I have a Q9550 and it overclocks nicely. I'm able to run stable at 480X8.5. Remember though that the i7's have 3 ram channels and a total ram cap of 12GB instead of 8GB on most boards. All being said, if I was buying together I would have totally got a X58 and a i920 over my X48 and Q9550

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark 3DMark Vantage 1.0.2 CPU

heads up compare

Back
Top Bottom