Computer unusually noisy.

I won't buy stuff just to do one thing. You have other computers. Use them to clone the drive and then put them back into the other computer.

My advice is:
  • Back up your personal files from old drive to Windows 10 drive
  • Plug in new drive in XP computer
  • Install Windows in XP computer using the new drive
  • Transfer files from Windows 10 computer to old computer using new drive

The method above works even if you don't have enough removable storage to store all your personal files at once. You can use an 8GB flash drive, fill it up, transfer, erase from flash drive, repeat.

I would definitely not buy that.

"There is no way to clone the drive with only one drive controller, except with a SATA to USB converter or something like that.

You will have to plug both drives in another computer, clone the first one and then connect the new one to the original computer.

I thought the above meant even if I had a SATA to USB converter I would still have to use another computer Co accomplish this.

I won't buy stuff just to do one thing. You have other computers. Use them to clone the drive and then put them back into the other computer.

My advice is:
  • Back up your personal files from old drive to Windows 10 drive
  • Plug in new drive in XP computer
  • Install Windows in XP computer using the new drive
  • Transfer files from Windows 10 computer to old computer using new drive

The method above works even if you don't have enough removable storage to store all your personal files at once. You can use an 8GB flash drive, fill it up, transfer, erase from flash drive, repeat.

I would definitely not buy that.

The new drive comes with Wwindows XP PROFESSIONAL pre installed.

But installing a different hard drive some if the devices on the computer might not work because of incorrect drivers. The hard drive that I swamped to the computer all the devices are working fine.
No little esclinatiin marks on device manager anywhere.

So this gizmo would not work then?

Last edited:
"There is no way to clone the drive with only one drive controller, except with a SATA to USB converter or something like that.

You will have to plug both drives in another computer, clone the first one and then connect the new one to the original computer.

I thought the above meant even if I had a SATA to USB converter I would still have to use another computer Co accomplish this.
No, that's why I said "Except...".
Still, I think you should follow the last method I posted.
Reinstalling is definitely the best option.

Since there is not anyway to secure a SSD if I decided to install the one I have here. I could hook up the SSD to where the internal hard drive is now and use the SSD from outside the computer.

Would not that work?

Back
Top Bottom