Computer startup problems, please help.

meltrianfaus

Beta member
Operating system and version such as XP Home sp1 -............... it's windows xp sp2
Motherboard make and model................................................ msi 865pe neo 3
CPU chip and details such as over clocked. ...............................intel 2.8 ghz not over clocked
Memory type and how much. Single channel or dual. ..................corsair value select 1 gb
Video card make and model, and whether it's an AGP, PCI, or onboard video chips. .................agp, ati radeon 9200
Sound card make and model, and whether it's a sound card or AC97 onboard sound. .................onboard sound
Any other pci cards make and model...................................... Ethernet card, i think a linksys
Hard drives make and model. ................................................Maxtor and a Seagate
Optical drives make and model .............................................2 dvd drives as for models i'm unsure
Power supply make and model. ...........................................there was a justpc psu in there 450 watt

ok, now that the first questions are out of the way, here's the problem. my roommate's comp was making a whining noise from the psu fan. i took it apart, cleaned it out and put it back in. in an oversight i failed to replace the thermal paste, and hooked it back up only to find out it went through the booting process (beeped once) and before the windows screen came up it would shut off. there is a temperature gauge on the front of his comp, and it was climbing a bit. didn't go over 90 degrees Fahrenheit though. i went out today and got some arctic silver 5, cleaned it up like i shouldv'e the first time and started it back up. the temperature didn't go over 83.7 but it still shut off after hitting the windows startup screen.

what iv'e tried so far was this

making sure the power switch wasn't sticking. it wasn't ........ too bad wouldv'e been an easy fix...

switching the video card, Ethernet card, ram and hard drives to another comp and it started up just fine, but the Ethernet card didn't want to co-operate with the new setup and i was unable to reactivate windows.

i then put everything back in his comp and tried switching the power supplies and that had the same results as iv'e gotten from his comp so far.

right about now i'm assuming somehow i fried the cpu, but i'm hoping i didn't. so before i go switching the cpu's (if i even can) i was hoping i could get a response here to see if there's anything else i overlooked as to what could be causing this.

Intels won't let you hurt them. If it gets too hot it throttles back or shuts downs.
Basic trouble shooting says to connect just what you need to boot up. If it boots it's some thing you left disconnected. Shut down and add just one item and reboot. When you can't boot back up look real close at the last item you connected.

thank you for your reply.

i tried booting it up with just the hard drives, video card (no onboard video) ram and the processor. unfortunately it still didn't boot up right. after i did that just to see if it was the video card possibly, i replaced it with a different one as well, but it still didn't work.

as far as i know i did. i looked up on the arctic silver website and followed it from there for intel chips. the heat sink was able to be moved a bit in its place before i locked it down, so i was able to do that. either way i guess it couldn't hurt trying to do it again.

thank you for your reply.

i tried booting it up with just the hard drives, video card (no onboard video) ram and the processor. unfortunately it still didn't boot up right. after i did that just to see if it was the video card possibly, i replaced it with a different one as well, but it still didn't work.

Well now you know the problem is with either the hard drives, video card, ram or the processor. I am leaning towards the processor, do you have another one you can try?

thanks for the help :)

i took it back apart and looked at the compound on the processor and it was still pretty much the same little glob i put on it in the first place. so i cleaned it up and reapplied it. this time though i put more than i had the first time (size of a uncooked short grain rice ..yeah right). put it back together and it worked. still running as i'm typing this :)

now to get the ethernet card working again and reactivate windows.

I am glad you got it working. I didn't really thing it was going to be something that simple though, but i guess thats the stuff you usually overlook.

Back
Top Bottom