Computer running slow

chibi1

Beta member
Aloha.
I have a Pavilion dv2-110br HP Notebook which I got in March of 2009
Memory: 1.8 GiB.
OS-type is 32-bit.
HD disk: 240.4 GB Free Space; 170.1 GB

I use it pretty much for coding, social network, e-mail and videos. Recently(the last months) I found it real slow to do certain things, such as watching videos on streaming websites or multitasking, every time I open a few folders and software programs it gets real slow. What could I do to improve the performance of it?

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

It was happened due to multiple process was executing in a similar time period. If you don't have most up-to-date antivirus then install it so very promptly because if you download some stuff then a set of small hidden applications also get download automatically & this will cause the speed deduction of PC.

It was happened due to multiple process was executing in a similar time period. If you don't have most up-to-date antivirus then install it so very promptly because if you download some stuff then a set of small hidden applications also get download automatically & this will cause the speed deduction of PC.

Download a program called CCleaner and run it, let me know how much data is removed.
CCleaner - CNET Download.com

Both of you need to read her post more carefully. She's running linux so the odds of her having a virus are low and CCleaner doesn't currently have a linux version.

Assuming these things were not slow before as Dale has asked, What did you do (if anything) before you noticed the slow down? I'm thinking you either installed something (update, new software etc) or a piece of hardware is going bad. I'd run Memtest (I think that's a boot option for ubuntu) and then go and get a copy of Seatools and run that to test the hard drive. If you don't have a seagate HDD, it will still work but it won't provide the ability to repair bad sectors.

Ubuntu temp files and caches are cleared automatically by the system. Logs are rotated automatically, removing old log files to make room for new ones. And there is no regsitry so there's no need to clean one.. :)

Follow as celegorm says.

Both of you need to read her post more carefully. She's running linux so the odds of her having a virus are low and CCleaner doesn't currently have a linux version.

Assuming these things were not slow before as Dale has asked, What did you do (if anything) before you noticed the slow down? I'm thinking you either installed something (update, new software etc) or a piece of hardware is going bad. I'd run Memtest (I think that's a boot option for ubuntu) and then go and get a copy of Seatools and run that to test the hard drive. If you don't have a seagate HDD, it will still work but it won't provide the ability to repair bad sectors.

Thank for for the most clever and attentive response. Since I do not have a CD/DVD driver and right now I do not own an external driver, I will ask for some friend to lend me one and follow your instructions. I will give you a feedback.

Back
Top Bottom