Computer Repair

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Im thinking of doing some computer repair stuff for my home town...
I heard working for geek squad, you get a book of things that happen to people, problems I guess... anyone know where I can look for something like this?

any suggestions?

thanks

-Q

a barns and nobel or some other book store near you (wow i sound like a movie announcer dude) tend to have good comptuer repair books. belive it or not, the books for dummies are very good when it comes to the comptuer repair area.

Are you looking at doing this as a business? If so ya will need to get liability insurance and stuff

You might also want to get a few certifications. A+ would be a good one to start with.

Yea and start with friends and familys PC before you jump into the Job market.

See how good you do, how much time it takes ya, and how you like it overall.

Then move out to real world customers.

AS far as books go i would look at amazon.com they have great deals.

I do my own business, and it makes a lot of money if you know what your doing. Mostley reformatting, virus scans, home networking, installing CD and Hard drives. That's about all people ask for.

I had to fix a cellphone once so it would work with iTunes, bout the oddest so far.

although it is a VERY stresful job, especially when the customer paces around you over and over....

^Mike^ said:
I do my own business, and it makes a lot of money if you know what your doing. Mostley reformatting, virus scans, home networking, installing CD and Hard drives. That's about all people ask for.

I had to fix a cellphone once so it would work with iTunes, bout the oddest so far.

although it is a VERY stresful job, especially when the customer paces around you over and over....

I always thought about doing my own as well.

I started a small one where i was originally from in a town with about 2K ppl,

Now i am in a city with close to 1 million ppl, Any suggestions you have for someone trying to start up. Always open to good advice

LambOfGod said:
I always thought about doing my own as well.

I started a small one where i was originally from in a town with about 2K ppl,

Now i am in a city with close to 1 million ppl, Any suggestions you have for someone trying to start up. Always open to good advice
yeah, start out with a low price. My slogan is "If I don't fix it, I don't get paid". Then once you work up enough customers to use as references, then up the price more. I charge $20 a visit including the first hour, and additional hours are $20. I made $75 in 2 hours 30min this weekend. I get tips aswell. I got a $20 tip from some rich guy. I'm going to up the price this summer cuz I can drive, I'm also getting a decent site up because I've been making sites for people aswell. I'm getting an ad in the phonebook ontop of that also.

Also charge people for wires and crap you use, i used some wire i had laying in my basement and charged the dude $5 for it. Add your percent to parts you gota buy.

yeah, im starting at 20-20/hour.. is there an easy way I can get any certifications besides going to the nearest college? im 17 :p college is 30 mins away..

are there like any free things online or something..

and I have been repairing things for a while.. and I kinda like it the best!

thanks guys

-Q

Back
Top Bottom