Computer Power Gone, How to Transfer Files to New Computer

cardwellave

Solid State Member
So on my Dell Inspiron 5160, the place where the cord plugs into the computer is broken. I heard this is a pricey repair, and due to how old the computer is and how many other problems it has, I have resigned myself to the fact that it needs to be replaced.

My question is, I only have about 30% of the battery left, and can't recharge it. How am I to transfer my files to a new computer? Someone on another forum suggested a " 2.5" EIDE external case" that I could plug the C drive into and then treat it like an external hard drive and transfer to the new computer. Does this sound reasonable? That computer is also password protected, so would I need to use some of the remaining battery power and go and disable that? And also when it starts off it has an error where it wants to check the C drive and even if I let it go it comes back later, so I have to cancel that when I turn it on. Would any of this be a problem to getting data off the C drive?

I'm really stressed over all this so I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Just put the hard drive in the new computer as a slave. Or if you don't want to do that, maybe you could send the information to a Flashdrive. It just depends on how much you want to keep.

edit: Welcome to CF!

How do you put it in as a slave? Or put it onto a flash drive if I can't power up the current computer?

And will the password protected windows affect getting the data off of it or is there no interaction there?

Thanks.

Well...lol...I don't quite know how to put it in as a slave...I just know you can do it. I have never attempted myself, but I did have it like that on my computer. A quick search on google shall do the trick. I though you just said you had 30% power. And no I don't think it should affect, if it does you can always type in the password no?

30% power on my worn down battery might be 15 minutes. I just don't understand; if you hook it into the new computer, does it run it just like the old one? Or do you access the information off of it only?

By the way I just tried to go on and take the password protection off and it has no battery left.

Kind of. You can make it access only information. Or you could also put the hard drive as the primary one. It would be pretty much your old computer with better specs.

So I could put it in the new computer and then say, transfer the information to a flashdrive or something, OR use it to get information off? I'm more interested in the second option....could you explain how I could do that and where I can get the necessary parts.

If I'm buying a new computer I figure I might as well start fresh, clean it up, etc, just put on it what I need from the old one. There's a lot of junk on there, plus I've used about 50 of 60 GB.

If I'm buying a new computer I figure I might as well start fresh, clean it up, etc, just put on it what I need from the old one. There's a lot of junk on there, plus I've used about 50 of 60 GB.
Good choice. Set it up as a secondary drive in your new computer, then either transfer the valuable information to the new computer's drive or a flash drive. Then reformat the old drive and use it as storage.

Back
Top Bottom