Which computer kit is better?

NervousLarry

Baseband Member
On a budget for 300 bucks or less PC kit. Need it for editing movies/videos, mostly standard def but some hi-def stuff. Nothing FX heavy, but would like to be able to edit 1080p resolution smoothly (not expecting AVCHD native or anything though...)

If you had to choose, which is the better package and why?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=675203&csid=_21

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=693834&Sku=B69-0388&a

I like the triplecore package but would the quad be a better choice, even with less RAM (and it being DD2 apparently)?

Anyone? I plan on purchasing tomorrow.

Again, my budget is pretty much in the 300 range and I don't have the many months to save up for a powerhouse, so something that will be decent for basic cutting/color correction would be good...

Personally, neither.

the first one, the board only supports DDR2 RAM, which is already obsolete. The Second one is better, has support for DDR3 but has a triple-core CPU (which is really only a pony or two cheaper than a similar Quad) and both are uselessly overspec since neither comes with a graphics card. Getting 8GB DDR3 RAM then bundling it with an Phenom II X3 and no dedicated graphics adapter is like putting a Reliant Robin engine into a Aston Martin Vanquish.

Oh, and the Gigabyte board in the triple-core bundle only supports up to 1333MHz. Even if you put 1600MHz memory in it, it will run it at 1333MHz. I know this because we use this board all the time for builds, and my brother's PC is built on one.

However, if you insist on getting one of these two, without question it would be the second one. In order to upgrade the first one, you'd need to replace the board, which renders the whole point of a bundle useless. Get the second one, and over time, upgrade the CPU (Any Socket AM3 will be supported, from Sempron to Phenom II X6).

DDR2 (double data rate)

But that's been around since ddr. A computer without ddr is very rare now a days, last thing you would think of. Not the version of ddr's different. ddr 1 isn't as fast as 2, same with 3 faster than both.

Yeah the DD2 thing was a typo. What I was saying was, wouldn't it be a bad idea to buy a DDR2 board rather than one that supports DDR3...

I've since been looking around and found a more expensive bundle with the same board but an AMD phenom 6 core instead of a 3 core. BUT if I got that, I'd still need to buy things like extra RAM and DVD drive, CPU fan, etc:

GIGABYTE M68MT nForce Barebones Kit - GIGABYTE M68MT Motherboard, AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU, Corsair 4GB DDR3 RAM, WD 500GB Hard Drive, DiabloTek Mid-Tower Case, 450-Watt Power Supply at TigerDirect.com

I was thinking, could I get away with buying the components of the 3 core kit seperately and then getting the AMD 6 core instead? What would be the drawbacks with using the cheaper MOBO, 8 GB ram and an AMD 6 Core? I know it would wind up being a bit more expensive this way, but from what I've read, the AMD 6 core is about the same as an Intel i7 quadcore in the video editing department. If I can still stay in the 300 dollar realm, I could worry about a graphics card and other stuff later. Would this be realistic? What would be the drawback of that MOBO with the AMD 6 core? I realize there is an 8GB max RAM but....would it be worth it if I could realistically keep it at like 300 something?

from what I can see the only obvious drawbacks are not much expandability, no sli support, only 2 ram slots totaling like 8gb max. I'm sure more people here can think of more as well.

I don't do much gaming anymore but still some so I am no longer a hardcore gamer but I want processor power for other things like video editing and what not so I may just pick this up for that price.

Back
Top Bottom