computer failure. . .

dfraccica01

Solid State Member
Just got done putting together a new computer, and having some weird issues with it. I installed all the drivers to all my devices, and when I go to control panel and hardware there is no conflicts showing. My graphics card requires two power plugs hooked up to it, and i only got one. So heres whats been happening- When i play FFXI, when there is a big flash on the screen or something with a lot of graphics loaded, my computer freezes. About 10 seconds later the computer automatically restarts. Starting up farcry, my computer doesnt freeze but just restarts on its own. And sometimes when im not even doing anything my computer will just restart, it wont even shutdown first. So i was wondering if that has anything to do with my graphics card not fully hooked up? I also have graphic errors when i play far cry, like all the grown is one big black color instead of having textures. Please help me out if you have any ideas!

eVGA AGP 256mb 6800 ultra graphic card 256-P2-N377-AX
Gigabyte motherboard i865p chipset
2 gigs PQI memory
intel 600 3.6 GHz 2mb/l2 processor

What's your PSU? Company and watts.
Download a program called everest, google it, and go to my computer, then sensor, and tell us what the temperature is on the CPU.

Also why did you only plug in one power, when there is 2 places? for the GPU.

Hmmm...

You can get power splitters for the molex plugs so both of the power input will have power. I think due to it not getting power to both plugs you're not powering all of the vid board.
Make sure your power supply is a bit above the max power demand of the entire system. Under powered will cause system devices not to operate properly as well as make them heat up. Check all that and post back if you need any more help.

it may not be ur gfx card. ur proc may be running too hot (you should give more details so itll be easier.) that happened to me for a while until i got my tt pipe 101.
btw nice pc.

well my PSU is a MGE vortec 500. I just realized my graphics card wasnt plugged in on the other side this morning :(. im in the process of changing that right now, and downloading everest.

Ok heres my temperatures at idle-
CPU- 112F
motherboard- 72F

during 64 bots with high graphics on battlefield vietnam-
CPU- 144F (50C)
motherboard 77F (25C)

well id say its almost definatly the fact that you have one power supply cord hook-ed up when it clearly needs two especially on such a power demanding card

so good so far. . . totally re-did my wiring on my system. gamed for about 6 hours today not a single crash or freeze. thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom