Computer Doesn't turn on

Dr. Funk

Solid State Member
When I press the power button on my computer, the computer doesn't boot! It was working fine yesterday, but now it seems like it's broken for no reason.

Yes, all the switches are turned on.

The LED on my motherboard lights up, and when I press the power button, the CPU fan and case fan both spin for ~1 second. but nothing else happens! no monitor activity, no HDD spin, nothing. So it doesnt seem like it is a PSU problem or power switch problem (I think).

I cleaned my computer, so now it's free of dust and put fresh thermal paste on CPU/GPU. I cleaned the contacts on ram, video card, cpu.

I tested the computer to turn on without hard drive, optical drive, sound card, nothing attached except CPU, cpu cooler, psu, motherboard, video card, monitor, power cable and ram. it still didnt work.

I really don't know what to do!! how can i fix my computer?! :confused:

take out everything, all ram but one stick and leave hdd connected.( an cpu fan)
then try, It is probably your psu tho. so your gonna have to get another one from a friend or get yours tested. this happened to me and the psu broke and took the mobo with it. good luck.

If you can, try flashing your BIOS and reinstalling the BIOS software, or try using the backup BIOS to boot your system. Also try another PSU, they tend to be forgotten when upgrading your computer. Have any capacitors blowen? Take all your hardware out of the case, leave the motherbord, PSU, CPU (and fan) and DVD drive and try booting from a DVD I.E UBD4W.

Wait, I think I know the problem. Take everything out. Find a wooden table, then completely rebuild everything. If it still doesn't turn on, Remove RAM, attempt again, switch PSU's if you can. When I was building my rig, I had the exact same problem. I found out that I put my motherboard incorrectly and it was shorting out. One side was bent and the other was straight. Do you have those motherboard pegs? Your PSU, could have just failed though.

Its strange that it shuts off with no bios boot?
Does the computer stay running just no video?

As people are Saying try the steps, (try rebooting after each point)
1- Take Ram Out & Re-enter it
2- ensure you have a CPU fan plugged into CPU_FAN port on MoBo.
3- watch the LED's on the MoBo - youll find there are 3 that light up on after the over (see on which LED the computer stops and theres you problem) - May be GFX card related

4- Take the thing apart and rebuild.

If you not using a dedicated graphics card, your integrated may have gone.

That all my ideas. Good Luck.

Hopefully it didn't damage anything else when it went. Remember only replace with a branded one. Seasonic corsair ocz coolermaster xfx etc

Back
Top Bottom